View Single Post
Old 15 February 2010, 17:10   #83
wanderer
I want an A1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Locke View Post
I guess that... Superfrog, and Brian the Lion aren't platformers either?
Of course they are. But if you're suggesting the Turrican series is similar to Superfrog and Brian the Lion there's no way we can agree.
Quote:
Does your definition of "platformer" include anything besides single-screen Taito arcade games?
Yes, but the definition is not that far off. Anyone who's played lots of platformers can confirm that. Take the "single-screen" bit out, and you're close.
Quote:
If Bubble Bobble had levels bigger than the screen, would it cease to be a platformer as well?
It wouldn't be Bubble Bobble. It's not the size of the levels that makes a difference, it's what the game allows you to do within them.
Quote:
As somebody who has played the Turrican games a great deal, I can safely say that you're completely wrong. Half of the time, you can kill enemies by simply rolling into them or jumping on them, and you often have to do a lot of backtracking if you miss a jump.
It's quite an original way of playing Turri, jumping or rolling on enemies half of the time. It's also strange you seem to forget that on the first Turrican, jumping on enemies isn't even possible.
As for the R-Type connection, it was made in a broader shoot'em'up sense, in contrast to platformers. Doesn't the "hold the fire button" laser ring any bells? But again, it's my opinion. I'm sure you'll not find many to agree with you, on the importance of the Turrican time limit. In the first Turrican (the defining one), the time limit borders on the ridiculous.
To stay a bit on topic, another fine platformer is Lupo Alberto. Is it similar to Turrican? (Exploring, jumping, shooting sometimes... it's all there) - It isn't.
(edit: phew, sorry, already mentioned Lupo more than 2 years ago in this thread! )

Last edited by wanderer; 15 February 2010 at 17:25.

Page generated in 0.05540 seconds with 9 queries