View Single Post
Old 10 February 2010, 16:41   #71
Dan Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
But that's the point. A true platformer will never give you the amount of exploring freedom Turrican does.
I guess that Sonic the Hedgehog, Superfrog, and Brian the Lion aren't platformers either? Does your definition of "platformer" include anything besides single-screen Taito arcade games? If Bubble Bobble had levels bigger than the screen, would it cease to be a platformer as well?

Quote:
A platformer is mostly (if not all) about accuracy in moving/jumping. Turrican has a great deal of that, sure, but you have to be more accurate in shooting, rather than worrying about landing on the right platform.
As somebody who has played the Turrican games a great deal, I can safely say that you're completely wrong. Half of the time, you can kill enemies by simply rolling into them or jumping on them, and you often have to do a lot of backtracking if you miss a jump.

Quote:
I am pretty sure the Turrican creators were more influenced from R-Type than Bubble Bobble.
Yeah, I can totally see the R-Type influence. It has the same constant left-to-right scrolling, fixed player orientation, lack of gravity, emphasis on dodging enemy bullets, and Force Pod that we all know and love.

Oh, wait, it doesn't, at least not in 90% of the game.

By the way, Bubble Bobble has quite a bit of shooting in it.

Quote:
The closest Turrican gets imo to platformers is its time limit, and we know how insignificant was that in the game. It's almost as if the... "Platform Game Association" forced the time-limit on Turrican!
Yeah, all that jumping on platforms? Totally irrelevant. And the time limit is hardly insignificant: often, you'll have to choose between exploring more of the level and possibly running out of time, or going straight through and missing most of the bonuses.

Last edited by Dan Locke; 10 February 2010 at 16:49.

Page generated in 0.05259 seconds with 9 queries