View Single Post
Old 09 February 2010, 05:41   #58
Falcon Flight
evicted psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Locke View Post
Oh, I'm not denying its significance. It's just that, most of the time, you're more concerned with where you're going (where does this tunnel go?) than with shooting enemies on the way. This is a result of the huge levels and relatively small enemy numbers.
Small enemy numbers? Ever played the game? And no, I believe first and foremost you're concerned with staying alive by shooting the shit outta stuff - or your preference, jumping on their heads in Mario manner - because it's kinda difficult to explore a game world when you're dead.

Quote:
In a game like Gunstar Heroes, though, the priorities are completely switched - you're mostly just running along a straight path with a few ledges here and there for variety, while gunning down legions of enemies that constantly attack you. Consequentially, you're going to be a lot more concerned with simply staying alive (these guys are EVERYWHERE!) than with finding special areas and hopping across platforms.
Yeah, I'd say Gunstar Heroes is a pure run n gun game, similar in vein to Metal Slug, but even more repetitive, and boring, IMO.

Quote:
See what I mean? When I say "accessory", I mean "mechanic that enhances, but does not supplant, the game's core idea".
Well, thanks for clearing up what your defininition for "accessory" is. That's not the commonly held one in plain English, or the O.E.D.

i.e., shooting is not the lens cap and platforming/exploration is not the camera. They're much more even than that.

Quote:
I would love to see someone get through Super Metroid without killing any enemies.
I don't know if any one's done it, but I certainly found myself rolling my eyes and either eluding or avoiding entirely. The emphasis in that game is explorative; Turrican 2's more about shooting shit up and jumping from here to there; exploratively, it's actually rather aimless.

Quote:
That's not what you said, though. To quote: "This is why I don't personally like Earthworm Jim or Donkey Kong Country; I believe the superb animation distracts from the core of the game." If you aren't saying, "I don't like console platformers because their good graphics distract me from the underlying gameplay," please enlighten me, because I hate misunderstandings.
My first assertion was about EWJ and DKC character animation distracting from a core platform game. Another aspect of them I dislike is the scenery in the foreground blinding me to pure action, of which there is little enough in both games as it is... there is even completely unfair edge-screen blindness. When I die in a Taito game, or something like Super Mario World, at least it's my fault, not one of poor game design. EWJ/DKC are mildly amusing eye candy platformers which require little skill and timing compared to Taito's stuff, and SMW etc.

My second assertion pertained only to not disliking well rendered GFX in general.

Quote:
And Earthworm Jim doesn't?
No, it doesn't. The designers were also fixated on eye candy.
Also, Rainbow Islands is far more sophisticated in testing the player's skills than EWJ is. I also believe that, even though the controllable character is "cute" in the former, it is more responsive and enjoyable to manipulate than the latter, even with all those (superfluous) anim frames.

Page generated in 0.09937 seconds with 9 queries