View Single Post
Old 02 February 2010, 22:13   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegiant89 View Post
Hi Prowler, Living in a tropical climate of far north Qld Austraila, my disks were always going mouldy. I would clean them with a cotten bud diped in methylated spirits. You hold the metal door open and gently wipe the surface and then rotate the disk by hand a bit at a time untill you have done the whole disk both side's, and then keep rotating it untill the metho has evaported off, doesn't take long. They have worked for ages and when the went mouldy again i would repeat the process. When the disk's get old the surface will start to mark if you rub it too hard.
Thanks for a detailed account of what, ultimately, was tremendously successful for you, whitegiant89!

The only precautionary note I would add to that for anyone else trying this is to be extremely careful not to wet the cotton bud excessively.

If the solvent were to come into contact with the joint between the disc and the stainless steel hub, it could weaken the adhesive and lead to separation. They are held together by a ring of double-sided tape, and if they should separate then it would be almost impossible to join them again so that the disc runs concentrically when rotated.

Page generated in 0.04478 seconds with 11 queries