View Single Post
Old 02 February 2010, 16:36   #1
paulo_becas

Smile Amiga is alive and well in PORTUGAL

My name is Paulo and i´m from Porto, Portugal. I work in the computer bussiness as a technician.
A few days ago i came across with this great site while i was searching the web for some help too make my amigas work again.
So far so good, i have 3 amigas, 1x1200 and 2x500, one Commodore 1084s-P1 RGB Monitor, 2 external floppy drives (Amitek and Cumana) and a lot of determination.
My history with amiga goes back to 1990 when i have my first contact with one. I used to saw them in magazines but that was it.
My brother bought an 1200 in 1994 and we get our hands in two 500 a few years ago.
They were sitting down for over 8 years because my brother left them to be "eaten" by moister.
The result was devastating.
About a month and a half ago i´ve decided to pick them up and restored them. It has been an adventure since then.
None of the floppy drives work, the floppy disks didn´t work, and the 1200 keyboard was destroyed, it was a nightmare.
After tearing the 1200 floppy drive apart and cleaning it up i was able to get it to work, not very reliable but it worked.
I was able to boot with one amiga 500 and a workbench 1.3 disk that was in pretty bad shape.
I´ve made a null modem serial cable and with the superb amiga explorer software from cloanto i was able to made some copies of workbench discs by connecting it to my PC.
I´ve bought one floppy drive on the web, a mouse and the catweasel MK4 Plus for PC(i haven´t had the time to put it to work), now i´m waiting for kick rom 3.1 and an 1200 keyboard replacement from an online shop who still sell this stuff.
This was just to get me started, now i´ve modified with success a few floppy drives with some help from this forum and they work great.
Next step will be to build an hd in my 1200.
I´ll be seeing you soon

Best regards

Last edited by paulo_becas; 02 February 2010 at 16:54. Reason: I´ve read the rules and i was breaking one of them by signing the post, sorry

Page generated in 0.04040 seconds with 10 queries