Old 02 February 2010, 04:44   #8
whitegiant89
Lone CBM user

Send a message via MSN to whitegiant89
Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi Cauterize,

Where have those disks been stored?

If floppy disks are stored in cold, damp conditions for very long, they become susceptible to mould growth on the recording surfaces. When those disks are eventually spun up, they will emit a squealling sound, which might be what you are describing.

If you attempt to spin such disks by hand, you will feel more than the usual resistance.

Be very careful with these disks. If you persist in trying these disks in your floppy drive it will eventually fail, and you might not be able to revive it by cleaning the drive heads.

I have heard that it is sometime possible to restore floppy disks damaged in this way by cleaning the recording surfaces with isopropyl alcohol, but this should be considered very much a last resort.
Hi Prowler, Living in a tropical climate of far north Qld Austraila, my disks were always going mouldy. I would clean them with a cotten bud diped in methylated spirits. You hold the metal door open and gently wipe the surface and then rotate the disk by hand a bit at a time untill you have done the whole disk both side's, and then keep rotating it untill the metho has evaported off, doesn't take long. They have worked for ages and when the went mouldy again i would repeat the process. When the disk's get old the surface will start to mark if you rub it too hard.

Hope this might help.

Page generated in 0.04758 seconds with 11 queries