View Single Post
Old 02 February 2010, 00:52   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange View Post
@prowler
i have had that exact same problem with mold. after trying to read them for a while, the drive would leave a 'circle' mark on them. but fdd seems to have worked fine with other diskettes later on. how about using a commercial spray that kills mold? or dry them somehow?
the ones i have are not so important, still they are originals
AKAIK there is no official documentation regarding methods of reclaiming floppy disks from an attack of mould growth. Cleaning the recording surface with isopropyl alcohol is one method that has been discussed in these forums with mixed results. It is still not clear whether it was first necessary to extract the disc from its enclosure.

To be successful, the disk needs to be imaged only once and may then be discarded, but any similar method is, of course, not without risk of losing data entirely.

The only method I have found which might lead eventually to the recovery of some bad sectors is spinning the disc by hand inside the enclosure to allow the layers of tissue a chance to remove the deposits from the recording surface. This can take a long time, since it is possible to rotate the disc only slowly, so it is best to attempt it while doing something else. And, of course, for this to be effective the disk must be left to dry out entirely beforehand.

Page generated in 0.07589 seconds with 11 queries