View Single Post
Old 25 January 2010, 22:50   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi gmiaow,

Your PowerBook 150 is a 68030 machine sold between July 1994 and October 1995. It will run Macintosh Systems in the range 7.1.1 - 7.6.1, so if you are planning to use System 7.5, this will be ideal.

The PowerBook is fitted with a Macintosh 1.44MB high density floppy drive, but your Amiga 1200 has a double density floppy drive which can read, write and format 720kB Macintosh-formatted disks under A-Max, Emplant or ShapeShifter Macintosh emulation, or from WorkBench or CLI with CrossMAC installed.

The PowerBook 150 will read, write and boot from 720kB Macintosh-formatted disks, but will not format them unless you are running System 7.1.1 or 7.1.2 and you have the 720K Floppy Formatter Extension installed.

To initialize the PowerBook's hard drive from a floppy disk you can generate in your Amiga, you will need to cram the System 7.5 Disk Tools onto a bootable 720kB floppy disk, and that might not be possible.

However, if the hard drive can be mounted when the machine is booted from a floppy disk, it may be possible to make the hard drive bootable without initializing it merely by copying over the System files from the floppy disk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiaow View Post
I know there is a program called transdisk, but it deals with ADFs, which I believe are somewhat different than say, IMG files. I have a feeling I'm going to have to do something bizarre like run a mac emulator in winUAE before I figure this out.
Alternatively, if you have a Windows PC with at least one FAT partition, a 3-inch floppy drive and a DOS boot disk, you can actually generate both 1.44MB and 720kB Macintosh-formatted floppy disks from IMG files which will boot the PowerBook without running either a Mac emulator or WinUAE...

...and the System 7.5 Disk Tools floppy you require is a bootable 1.44MB Macintosh-formatted disk.

Interested?

Last edited by prowler; 25 January 2010 at 23:22. Reason: typos

Page generated in 0.06648 seconds with 9 queries