Just a quick "Thank You"
The latest BB3 (1.0c) seems to install absolutely fine. I have done the aforementioned "modification" of the startup sequence and it works just fine. The scsi.device was even installed in DEVS.
Looking back I think what I did wrong was the "Novice Install" - I wasn't getting the list of Amiga models to install for, therefore it wasnt actually installing the scsi.device. Although that said, even when I DID use the intermediate install option I wasn't getting the list every time. Whatever it was/is 1.0c is working fine for me now.
Thanks again, and apologies for being a pain