View Single Post
Old 03 January 2010, 14:05   #378
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
So basically there arent any?

Decent browser? Photo editor? Word Processor? Spreadsheet? Game? HD Media Player?

You seem to be rather of the fan-boi ilk. I love my Amigas as much as most here but you've got to be realistic.

but for real world use it will be OSX/Windows/Linux for 99.99% of us...
Methanoid, I beleive you have misunderstood the point / irony in my last post. I completely agree that AOS (in any form) is nowhere near Win/Mac Linux for everyday use. All I was intending was to highlight the naivete of the "But it runs OS4" argument, which many OS4 users cant seem to see beyond - of course it's nice, but when it comes to everyday stuff, the main basic apps are sadly lacking - basically there aren't any. In other words I was taking the pi$$.

As for my PPC on an A1200 - I meant that if I had a PPC cardI'd run AOS 3.9 for compatibility with the "classic" Amiga apps/utils/games. Nostalgia if you will - as that is the reason I got the machine in the first place. Whats the point of a new OS that wont run any of the old stuff ?

Of course I will probably get flamed for it, but I hope you see now that I'm certainly no fanboi. I do love my Amiga, and I beleive that new hardware is a good thing but there is really no "platform" beyond OS 3x..... I really cannot see the point of having an orphaned OS with no backward compatibility and no development beyond the "hobbyist" community - its just a cynical cash in by Hyperion (or whoever owns it) and X hardware company looking to flog 5 year old (or older) PC/Mac bits as a "new Amiga".

Of course there will be some people who will buy into it - good for them, but sadly I think their loyalty is misplaced.

If it were possible to run OS4 on x86 hardware, then I might be interested (and no I don't mean emulation) - its cheaper to buy than some new fangled exclusive "Amiga" Motherboard.

Page generated in 0.05235 seconds with 9 queries