View Single Post
Old 01 January 2010, 19:23   #1
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Installing AmigaOS using WinUAE

I very rarely re-install my big-box Amiga's. In fact I think all were installed 10 years ago the most up to date being AOS3.5

Anyhow I've got a new IDE hard drive for my A4000D and just need an ickle bit of advice to install AmigaOS3.9 + all patches using WinUAE.
  • As long as the hard drive I want to use has no partitions do I still need to start WinUAE with a command line switch winuae -disablehardrivesafetycheck to activate block level HDD write access?
  • Do I need to set the IDE max transfer level during the partitioning phase of formatting & installing AmigaOS3.9?
  • Can WinUAE boot from emulated CD? Or mount the CD as a hard drive? Or will I need to install AmigaOS3.1 from floppy first?
  • Eventually I'd like to have one partition >4GB formatted in SFS. Any idea how I can set this up when I install AmigaOS3.9? I just need to put SFS in the RDB before installing AmigaOS? I have a Deneb which should be able to patch to KS3.9 and overcome any partition limitations.
  • As well as installing AmigaOS3.9 + BB1 + BB2 + (unofficial) BB3 are there any other "must have" OS enhancing applications?

I was considering :

LZX 1.21r + Patches
    MUI 3.8 + Classes
    AfA_OS 4.6
    Directory Opus 5 Magellan II 5.82
    XFD 1.38
    XPK 5.2a
    WHDload 16.9
    Picasso96 2.1b
    VisualPrefs 1.5k
    Ixemul library 62.1
    LhA 2.12