View Single Post
Old 09 December 2009, 22:10   #258
Dan Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
That is the part I was referring to. Of course 'platformer' is a wide category, but (at least for me) Prince of Persia and Flashback are quite different. That Flashback copies the jump mechanism from Prince of Persia, doesn't make it almost the same game.
I understand completely; the comparison was based entirely on the movesets because they're the vehicle for the player's interaction with the game, and a game is nothing if not interaction. I'll agree that the games' emphases are completely different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Nope, I was just trying to follow your logic here.
It looked an awful lot more like an attempt to set up a straw man. It still does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
I think the point is you are taking your opinion as an absolute truth. what "seems obvious to you" clearly is not worth getting "worked up about", because it is subjective opinion. (and you can argue that until you are blue in the face if you like, claiming to have a "better" opinion due to numbers of games played, forums visited etc etc, but it's still a fact)
True.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry Horace View Post
However, your opinion is not gospel, and it can seem like you are trying to grind other people into the ground with it, which obviously certain people are not going to take to too kindly.
I see. I'll keep that in mind in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
THIS. Exactly this. Dan, subjective opinion is just that; subjective. You cannot win this argument, not in the way you seem to need to because, and this is important, people have their own opinions, and neither you nor anyone else has a right to say these opinions are wrong just because they differ from your own.

DO YOU SEE?
Yes; I do, now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
And at the end of the day, arguing angrily over what can be classified as a 'platformer' is pretty pointless, doncherthink?
Quite. It annoys me that I can get so worked up over trivial things like that.

I apologize for any offense on my part.

Page generated in 0.07416 seconds with 9 queries