View Single Post
Old 09 December 2009, 04:02   #248
Dan Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Yes, yes I see how that is in Prince of Persia now...
I'm not saying that at all. What I am saying is that "platformer" is an incredibly broad category, covering everything from Pitfall to LittleBigPlanet. Saying that a game isn't a platformer because it includes item-based puzzles doesn't make sense at all.

Quote:
For sure. Hope I never find out what floats yours
Lots of stuff, much of it on the Amiga.

Quote:
Wait... does that mean every game that uses a button to fire a weapon is like Contra? Heck! Then it's a Contra/Prince of Persia/Zelda clone! I never thought about it that way.
That was completely incomprehensible. If a genre is based on its movement setup, then games that are based on that setup will be within it. Same thing with horizontal shoot-em-ups and Breakout clones (for lack of a better term) - Enforcer's powerup scheme doesn't make it a clone of Turrican any more than Act Out's orientation makes it a clone of Enforcer. The former is a shoot-em-up, the latter is a Breakout clone, both have their own genres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adropac2 View Post
Indeed Gods, Prince Persia, Flashback are not what i would class in this exact category.
My point is that it's a very broad category, essentially covering any side-view 2D game with a ground-bound protagonist who can jump. Super Metroid is a far cry from Super Mario Bros., but they're much more similar to each other than they are to Star Fox.

Quote:
They do involve jumping but the start stop nature and other things are the difference here and it's a bigger difference for example than if you were to include some puzzle aspects into a pure platformer - it would still be that pure platformer but with other elements
Quote:
You could always say it falls into a platform category that is not the one originally termed is how i would see it
Well, I don't see how we disagree then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
2. Neither the Amiga or C64 Turrican versions are bugged.
I'm pretty sure that being able to eliminate enemies by running away from them is a bug. Once they're off the screen, they're gone forever, never to return. I also remember sequence-breaking the C64 version of Turrican II - I somehow managed to get past the wind on the first level without going through the tunnel below the waterfall, and it ended up making the entire level windy. I had to restart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
This is clearly what he DOES want to do, though. It's in insecurity/over-compensating thing; don't let it bug you. Dismissing these people always winds them up more than getting involved...
Oh, come on. I get worked up easily about things that seem very obvious to me; you don't have to get all Freudian like that.

Incidentally, what would I possibly be "over-compensating" for? Or what would I have "insecurity" about? And, of all of the outlets for such nonexistent things, why a thread about video games on a forum about a 25-year-old computer? Don't spout meaningless psychobabble without having an actual reason for it.

Last edited by Dan Locke; 09 December 2009 at 04:18.

Page generated in 0.06107 seconds with 9 queries