View Single Post
Old 17 November 2009, 16:59   #34
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalA1000 View Post
930kb/s is very achievable for a much more credible and pleasant 20FPS
Yes, simply use NTSC so you can show one frame every three NTSC frames. For PAL 20 frames is annoying.
Quote:
is there actually enough grunt in the OCS chipset to pull a 48k bitmap data for the image from a fast medium...stick it in screen memory...and swap the palette colours?
Perhaps. If you have a DMA controlled HD then you might be able to have the controller put the read data into the right place in chipmem directly, ready to display. The blitter works at 2 MB per sec, I think. You only need two channels so that's 1 MB copy speed if I'm not mistaken. Palette swapping is a matter of changing 32 bytes worth of custom chip registers, which is no problem.
Quote:
I ask this because if this guy's routine is state of the art and still requires an accelerator to achieve 15fps then clearly there is not enough time to do this on a 7mhz OCS Amiga then right?
Sounds like a bit much, but I can't say for sure. On an A1200 with 50MHZ '030 you could handle as much as 2.5 MB per sec.
Quote:
so I guess what I am asking is what is the actual DMA bandwidth on an OCS Amiga to handle this...is 1mb/s not possible on an Amiga bus using Agnus to blit the data in..data that should be read in via DMA too?
As said above the blitter can handle 2 MB per sec, which has to be divided over the channels you need (in this case two). If it's possible to have the HD controller DMA the data straight into any location in chipmem, then blitting probably isn't needed.
Quote:
Also another thought....would it help if you load in seperate bitplanes and write them to the respective bitplane on an alternate double buffered screen?So while you are loading one segment of 8k per frame for bitplane 2 of frame 1 you can be writing via the blitter bitplane 1 data for frame 1 from the previous loaded data. Can you do this in DMA or will the blitter hog the DMA and prevent this working.
It really doesn't matter, as long as the buffer is filled up before displaying. If both HD DMA and blitter are needed, then this is going to become very difficult indeed.
Quote:
Personally HAM is a nightmare to compute from an AVI I bet, if you want it to look optimal it will need Digi-view quality of processing and optimisation for each frame. Stick to a dithered EHB screen per frame I think for testing the throughput of the OCS chipset.
Because you have to convert each frame to a lower number of bits per pixel anyway, you need a batch conversion program for this. Because you need this, you might as well go for Ham6. The task has to be automated anyway, so you might as well go for the best quality.

Page generated in 0.05427 seconds with 9 queries