View Single Post
Old 07 November 2009, 06:51   #34
Cammy

Dunny, unfortunately it seems the days of beige/tan computers have ended. I think we're lucky to have the choice of five different colours though. The white one reminds me of a clean new A600 or A1200, the black one reminds me of a CD32 (it looks more dark grey with a black keyboard). The yellow one is Bumblebee from the Transformers, the red one is the fastest, and the metallic pink one might go down well with girls and effeminate males.

cosmicfrog, the A1600 is an unbranded OEM netbook that we can import directly from the wholesaler with no pre-installed OS. The specifications are practically the same as most other netbooks on the market, which means they only come with screens in resolutions of 1024x576 and 1024x600. I am a little bit upset because the test model they sent me is the 576 model, which means any program or game designed for 800x600 resolutions won't fit. By the time we have the packaged deal ready, we won't settle for less than 1024x600.

Unfortunately due to the size of these netbooks with their 10.2" screens, they just don't come in higher resolutions until you get larger models. We may look into full-size laptops if this netbook idea pans out.

So far, our test model boots into Grub, which waits 1 second for you to select Ubuntu Karmic Koala Netbook Remix (if you choose to) before it defaults to booting Icaros Desktop Lite. This gives you a choice to boot Linux if you want, but will boot into Aros if you don't touch anything. Icaros loads up in 1024x576 and runs extremely quickly. I have never experienced an Amiga this fast, or an Operating System this responsive! Soon we will have hardware accelerated 3D too. We just need to write AHI drivers for the audio chipset, Poseidon drivers for the WLAN and Webcam, and everything should be ready to go.

AB Positive, did you manage to boot into Icaros via the Live-CD? Usually a netbook's BIOS allows you to use an external USB CD/DVD drive as a boot device, pretending it's internal so the OS doesn't need to load the USB stack first to recognize it (that'd be a catch-22). If you can boot into Icaros, you can use the InstallAROS tool in the Tools/ drawer to add a partition to your drive for Aros and install it. I found this was the easiest way to install Aros on my internal drive after stuffing around with setting up partitions for it. Once it's installed, the partitions should be able to be resized later anyway.

Let me know how you're going because I'd love to help you get Aros installed, it's a lot of fun.

Page generated in 0.05881 seconds with 9 queries