View Single Post
Old 07 November 2009, 01:34   #159
Dan Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Amiga can play 8 channels through software, and whilst you CLEARLY have no clue about hardware
How do I "have no clue about hardware"?

Quote:
its lovely the SNES had 4 extra channels and 16bit, but had to rely on its sound processor because memory was so tight.
And the Amiga didn't "rely on its sound processor"? Wha..?

Quote:
Nice! Thats like having a Cadillac with a V8 engine and a 1 litre petrol tank!!!
More like a 4 MB petrol tank.

Quote:
Really? So why didn't they do that then?
Because they wanted to fill their 4 MB cartridges with stuff besides music?

Quote:
Was it because cartridges were horrendously expensive to produce and publishers didn't want the extra cost of having more ROM space on the cart? The fact it 'could' is irrelevant when they 'didnt'.
Didn't what? Use all of the ROM to hold music?

Quote:
And the SNES did have a paltry amount of ram, why would you even contest this?
I didn't; I said that RAM is irrelevant because it ran everything straight from the cartridge ROM. If the Amiga loaded its programs at the speed of light, it certainly wouldn't need 512k to play games with lots of loading time to sit through.

Quote:
Really? What a load of ill informed bollocks frankly!
How so?

Quote:
I can pick out many, many, many 4 channel modules on Amiga that are STILL highly regarded today, because whilst you think its all about sound channels, sometimes the skills of the musician come into play... feel free to think that over sometime.
I listen to Amiga modules quite frequently, so I know all about the "skills of the musician". What I was saying was that a musician needs a HECK of a lot more skill to make decent music on the Amiga than he does on the SNES, because the SNES's sound chip is MASSIVELY better.

Quote:
Haha, no it didn't, you'll need to provide links for that, and i'm afraid anything from Wikipedia isn't taken seriously.
Wikipedia? How about my hardcover copy of On the Edge?

Quote:
I did work for the games industry during that time. I didn't say anything of the sort that more games equals less quality, what I did say was that the turnaround for an Amiga title was quicker, so clearly a developer doing an An Amiga game would then be able to start the next one quicker. Quite simple really!
And what I said was that that's no excuse for lower game quality.

Quote:
No one made that claim
Except for the people who were all "AMIGA HAS BETTER PLATFORMERS CONSOLES SUCK THEY HAVE NO VARIETY GRAARGHH".

Quote:
the point I made was I couldn't give a toss if the Amiga had 80 or 1000 great platformers.....
Great. My point is that the Amiga's library can't give a toss what you think about it.

Quote:
theres not enough derivation to get anything meaningful out of yet more platform games. It was a cluttered market that showed a wilful lack of innovation, the same games re-released with different graphics.... big yay!
And that's what Amiga Power said about Amiga platformers. What are you getting at?

Quote:
Are you seriously suggesting that the likes of Ocean software that did a lot of games inhouse didn't code share? You're seriously deluded if you disagree with that.
Yeah, I'd be pretty deluded to think that a game company wouldn't share code with...itself.

Quote:
Did I say that? Or did I also offer to provide you with a list of shit Genesis / SNES developers?
Considering that Tiertex would still be worse, I thought that it was irrelevant.

Quote:
Next time you want to quote me, feel free to NOT be disingenous and have the decency to quote me in full or don't bother.
Why quote you in full when I can save space and streamline my post by only quoting what I respond to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
I'm a huge PC-Engine/TurboGrafx fan, but the 6 channel PSG sound can't compete with the Paula chip, though a lot of HuCard games sounds really nice.
What it lacks in sound it more than makes up for in graphics.

Quote:
C65? As you said, not released/no games. So this is only speculation and probably wrong.
The C65 had 256 onscreen colors from a palette of 4096, compared to the Amiga's 32/64. I'm probably wrong when I say that, but then so is every mention of the C65's and Amiga's specs that I've ever seen.

Quote:
And once again it's a discussion about hardware details, and not about the gameplay quality of computer or console platformer.
I never said that it was. But when somebody says that the Amiga was superior to every platform from the NES to the PlayStation, it's hard to tell what the discussion is about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plankton View Post
TurboGrafx-16 just had a 8-Bit CPU. I'd not call it a 8-Bit machine. It didn't call itself a 8-Bit machine but if you call it a 8-Bit machine, I won't stop you.
What's so "16-bit" about it? The graphics chips? I assume that the T-99 was an 8-bit machine then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plankton View Post
As for C65, if we're going to compare vaporware, there's going to be a long list of unreleased Amiga models with specs that actually looked good.
Believe me, you have no idea how much I wish that we were talking about the Ranger rather than the original Amiga. Were it not for Gould and Ali, the Amiga would have been more powerful than the X68000.

Last edited by Dan Locke; 07 November 2009 at 01:47.

Page generated in 0.07413 seconds with 9 queries