View Single Post
Old 06 November 2009, 23:07   #145
Dan Locke

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynor View Post
One thing I always like on amiga - music. Amiga versions of music are almost always better than any console from that time.
Except for the SNES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Developing for Genesis and SNES was infinetly more expensive than developing for Amiga. For a start, publishers had to pay Sega and Nintendo in advance for cartridges to be made, so they had significantly bigger investments right from the off.
If it improved the games' quality, I'm all for it.

Quote:
Had the Americans embraced their own machine, I think things would have been a lot different. For a patriotic lot, they sure loved the Japanese stuff!
Blame it on Commodore's horrible marketing against Sega's and Nintendo's excellent marketing. The fact that the Amiga didn't even have the graphical power of the Genesis might also have been a factor (though the Ranger chipset would have handily reversed that situation, were it not for the despicable duo of Gould and Ali).

Quote:
It wasn't just because a game only sold 100,000 copies either, game development on Amiga was quicker, therefore the shelflife of a game was kinda determined on what was next around the corner to be released.
Consoles also had frequent releases, so I don't see your point there.

Quote:
Clearly if you think Bubsy is better than most Amiga platformers, you really haven't seen most Amiga platformers.
Actually, I have. As a fan of both platformers and the Amiga, I've scoured LemonAmiga and Hall of Light for good ones on my favorite computer. Of the 200-odd Amiga plaformers that I searched through, I found maybe 40 decent ones, hardly any of which can really match the Genesis and SNES games for polish and playability.

Quote:
Yes the Amiga had bad developers, but the SNES and Genesis were not exactly brimming with greatness at times, but agreed, Tiertex on the Amiga would never have been allowed to get away with the same shit on Genesis or SNES.
So you're conceding my point.

Quote:
Generally the specific Amiga titles are incredibly strong, and I think you need to broaden your Amiga games horizons.
I have. You assume too much.

Quote:
Try looking through HOL and selecting the option of Amiga Original, theres a world out there buddy
I have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye View Post
And how many platform games outside of Sonic and Mario series are so much better than the Amiga platformers? I keep hearing this, but I can't remember any really great platformers outside of these. And if anyone says Donkey Kong Country - that's one game that's really close to a typical Amiga platformer game.
That last bit about Donkey Kong Country really didn't make much sense, but whatever. Console platformers that beat Amiga platformers:

Aladdin

Alisia Dragoon

B.O.B.

Batman: The Video Game

Batman Returns

Castle of Illusion

Contra: Hard Corps

Doom Troopers: The Mutant Chronicles

Dynamite Headdy

Earthworm Jim

Earthworm Jim 2

Gargoyles

Global Gladiators

The Lion King

Mega Man: The Wily Wars

Mickey Mania

The Misadventures of Flink

Phantom 2040

Pocahontas

Puggsy

Pulseman

Ristar

Rocket Knight Adventures

Sparkster

Tinhead

Vecorman

Vectorman 2

Wiz 'n' Liz

And that's just on the Genesis. If I included SNES games like Super Metroid and Cybernator, that list would be even more massive.

Quote:
Seriously, the Amiga platformers are more typical western or european type games. It really depends on what you like. I loved games like Chuck Rock 2 (gameplay was better than the first game), Super Frog, Giana Sisters, Parasol Stars (not a scrolling platformer, but still), Rainbow Islands, Soccer Kid, Yo! Joe!. These are all brilliant.
Great Giana Sisters is "brilliant"? You're using an Amiga port of a C64 rip-off of a console game to prove that Amiga games are better than console games? And arcade conversions don't count.

Quote:
And to those who say Super Frog is a bad game - have you ever played past the initial forest world? It's when you enter the castle and the indoor locations it's really picking up.
Had quite the opposite effect on me - that's when the controls really start getting on your nerves and the cheap deaths increase.

Quote:
No, but they're on the Amiga, and they're good, thus good amiga platformers.
Why? You're just using an Amiga as a substitute for an arcade machine; there's nothing "Amiga" about them. I wouldn't use the Amiga port of Puggsy to justify the Amiga's superiority to the consoles any more than I'd use the Genesis port of Flashback to justify the consoles' superiority to the Amiga.

Quote:
If we're going to only bring up Amiga originals in everything, then we might not have very many games left to brag about on the Amiga.
Whereas the consoles have loads and loads of great, native games to brag about.

Quote:
Secret of Monkey Island and Leisure Suit Larry weren't Amiga originals either, but I still consider them Amiga games.
Not PC games? If I coded an Amiga port of Earthworm Jim, would that suddenly make Earthworm Jim an Amiga game?

Last edited by Dan Locke; 06 November 2009 at 23:25.

Page generated in 0.08355 seconds with 9 queries