View Single Post
Old 11 August 2002, 18:22   #12
Cheers for the information! That does make a lot of sense...

About the JIT, *technically* they could indeed use the UAE one if it was written to be retargetable (I don't know if it was - I haven't looked at it) but you would need to change the emitted code to PPC...

I also don't think the GPL licensing would be a problem, all they would need to do is get a special license version from the author (obviously they would have to pay them for that ) and they could use it... But I don't know who "owns" the UAE JIT - if anybody.

But it is certainly nice to see one written from scratch - nothing better than doing it yourself Especially being designed from the start to be embedded deep in exec. I think I have more confidence in a commercially written one, purely due to amount of time and dedication needed not to mention quality control.

Also - apologies to the "expensive" comment that was made by me - I was comparing Amiga's POP to similar specced *PC* hardware - which is not a fair comparison I realise.

So do you know what they plan to do about Apple? I think they feel they got burned opening the Mac platform before, I don't see why they would do it again... Be (BeOS) found it increasingly difficult to get any info from Apple on the hardware, so how is Amiga planning to?

Last edited by fiath; 11 August 2002 at 18:29.
Page generated in 0.05439 seconds with 9 queries