View Single Post
Old 28 September 2009, 19:05   #2
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchblade View Post
I hate to be negative when it comes to the good ol' Amiga, but I honestly believe that despite the Amiga being a huge technical achievement when it comes to graphics and audio, it didn't seem to translate the game play mechanics well when it comes to side-scrolling platform games. Now I know the Amiga wasn't designed to primarily be a gaming machine, but it certainly ended up getting that reputation anyway, so we'll just have to stick with it.

It seems to me that despite having good titles like Turrican and Leander, there were a bunch of crap ones like Shadow of the Beast, Zool, Superfrog, Rick Dangerous, Kid Chaos, and others related to them. It's either due to level design, game difficulty, wonky controls, or either the game just simply not interesting you at all.

So am I the only person here who's alone in their opinion?
The Amiga was originally designed as a games console, so yes it was specifically designed as a games machine.

Beast - suspect gameplay, but technically as proficient as anything the Genesis and SNES could do at the time, in fact the conversions to the other consoles showed just how Amiga specific it was.

Zool - gameplay wasn't so bad, programming let it down

Superfrog - Seriously?

Rick Dangerous - wasn't a platformer in the traditional sense

Kid Chaos - was ok for what it was

There were lots of good platformers, Ruff n Tumble, Fire n Ice, Tearaway Thomas, Switchblade 2, Beast 3, Arabian Nights, Soccer Kid, Assassin, Brian the Lion, Chuck Rock, Chuck Rock 2.... and on and on, in fact, direct your browser to this link: http://hol.abime.net/hol_search.php?N_ref_category=16

Thing is, Amiga was more able at doing every game type of the time, Genesis and SNES either were not capable or there was no market for other game types (i.e. flight simulators or general 3D vector graphics were poor on Genesis and had to have additional hardware in the case of the SNES).

Amiga was a "jack of all trades", thats where its strength lied.

Page generated in 0.05053 seconds with 9 queries