View Single Post
Old 24 September 2009, 14:17   #8
OT Whore
If you're into First Person Shooters, apart from Doom, Quake and Unreal you have to give a go to:

- Half-Life. It's in the top3 games of all time, all platforms, no doubt about that I will not accept anybody saying anything against that, end of discussion if you never played half-life, you're going to play half-life (and yes, I'm using the Force to persuade you, if you didn't notice.)

- Dark Forces is enjoyable if you are a Star Wars nerd

- Duke Nukem 3D oh the hours spent on that one.

RolePlaying Games:

- Fallout I & II <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 - post apocalyptic rpg, a pure gem of a game

- Baldur's Gate I & II - advanced dungeons&dragons rulesset, your typical heroic-fantasy RPG

- Daggerfall and Morrowind - deep and complex, if you like RPG give it a go

Real Time Strategy:

- Warcraft II, StarCraft, Total Annihilation....what else? Age of Empires was pretty good too.

- Command & Conquer and sequels. Different from the others, truly unique feeling, if you fall for it you're gonna love these games forever.

Adventure games (ah, the best time for these...)

- Monkey Island I & II, Sam n Max hit the road, Day of the tentacle, The Dig, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Full Throttle, Grim Fandango - all from Lucas Arts. You can go blindly on these. You will have a hard-time finding people that didn't at least "like" these will mostly find people that LOVED them tho

- Sierra adventure games. Less unanimous than LucasArts, I for one love most of them. I particularly recommend "Space Quest" series, for its super fun sci-fi. Leisure suit Larry is really funny if you're into a more adult game, controlling the life of a total loser in his quest for love.

- Myst & sequels - more puzzle than adventure, still they were great game, with top notch GFX at the time even if it wasn't animated.

- Little Big Adventure 1 & 2. Truly unique game experience, with revolutionary graphics at the time.

- Dungeon Keeper - playing the devil mind behind a dungeon, torturing minions, designing torture chambers etc in 3rd degree and dark humorous way, who wouldn't enjoy that? A truly great game, that received unanimous wonderful reviews when it came out.

- Deus-Ex - a mix between a RPG and a FPS, greaaaat game. Cyberpunk atmosphere, with different ways to do the scenario. The hard (let's call it the John MacLane way), or the sneaky way. One of my all times favorite.

- Diablo and Diablo 2. Wonderful games. Heroic Fantasy hack n' slash, very good for some stress relief, instead of kicking the dog or your kids. These games are legendary and still played as of today by many players.

- Sim City, Sim City 2000, Theme Hospital, Theme there a need to talk about these games?

- Civilization 1 and 2 - same for these...I think they're too popular to be described

- Thief: the Dark Project. A kind of sneaky FPS, with a good IA at the time. The whole game was about not being seen or you probably die by a few axe hits. Really fun to play!

- X-Wing, Tie-Fighter, X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter if you're into space simulation, and into Star Wars obviously

- Prince of Persia I and II, and Flashback - platformers, god they were good! I'm particularly a Flashback fan.

- Lemmings and sequels - too popular to be missed, right?

- System Shock I and II - like Deus Ex, a mix of FPS and RPG, they were truly awesome.

- Robinson's Requiem and its sequel Deus - not very popular, I for one loved them kind of first-person RPG where you landed alone on a lonely planet. It was a survival simulator, and a really advanced one. I loved these games too.

Well...of course this list is biased toward what I played and what I like, but I doubt I'm missing many of the big hits of the 90's

This gives you a few things to play now better late than never! Enjoy the greatest era of gaming! (yes, I'm being nostalgi....Nostalgeek again )
Page generated in 0.06489 seconds with 9 queries