View Single Post
Old 22 September 2009, 01:49   #1
Port_H

Question How to redefine a new Keyboard Layout in WinUAE for use in GameBase Amiga?

Since I started using Gamebase Amiga approx. one year ago, I never played nor I want to play again any Amiga game without using it. To me, its main advantage (if I understand it correctly) is that it configures automatically WinUAE settings accordingly to the game selected, I only have to choose the game from the list and hit the "Play game" button. However, I haven't checked updates for it nor I updated the Games Database for it since I first installed it, I don't know if there's any new version(s).

I started a thread in the prb.Games forum because of a few problems I found in the game Shadow Fighter (AGA). One user in that thread suggested that I might have some keyboard jamming/ghosting between cursor down, cursor left and right control. In order to confirm that problem, I used the program 'Keythis' he linked to, and verified that the program doesn't register "[Down] + [left] + [R Ctrl]" when I press simultaneously in that order those 3 keys! But it register "[Down] + [right] + [R Ctrl]" when I press the correspondent combination. lilalurl told me here that I could define my own keyboard layout in Winuae, in Host/Input and in the first dropdown list, selecting config#X, keyboard in the second dropdown list and then defining the input target for each 'source' key. As I wanted that to work with Gamebase settings, I loaded in WinUAE the GameBase Amiga.uae configuration file which is located in C:\Programas\GameBase\GameBase Amiga, went to Host>Input, selected Configuration #1 in the first dropdown list, and Keyboard* in the second dropdown list and then defined for each 'Input source' of Keyboard layout B (Cursor keys, Right CTRL = Fire), the 'Input target' I wanted, hoping to "redefine keys". In other words, I changed Up arrow, Down arrow, Left arrow, Right arrow, Right CTRL in the 'Input source' column to the keys Numpad 8, Numpad 5, Numpad 4, Numpad 6, Numpad 0 in the 'Input target' column. Then, saved the configuration file in the same location and launched Shadow Fighter (AGA) with GameBase Amiga. However, to my disappointment, when the game started, the keyboard stopped responding at all: neither the original keys in the Keyboard layout B (Cursor keys, Right CTRL = Fire), nor the new keys I defined to replace them responded.
Then, I tried to do the same thing, but this time, I loaded the WHDLoad.uae configuration file which is located in C:\Programas\GameBase\GameBase Amiga, selected the same as I did before in the first and second dropdown lists. This time, I tried to change the keys in the Keyboard layout C (W=Up S=Down A=Left D=Right, Left Alt = Fire), changing W, S, A, D in the 'Input source' column to the keys Q, A, E, R in the 'Input target' column. Saved the configuration file, and launched WHDload (Unregistered) version of Shadow Fighter (AGA) with GameBase Amiga. The disappointing result was the same as before: the keyboard didn't respond, it only responds if I then go to WinUAE (press F12), go to Host/Input, and change the first dropdown box from Configuration #1 back to Compatibility mode.

I must be doing something wrong. Anyone can help me on this? Apart from the keyboard jamming/ghosting problem, I would love to be able to play any game using my own customized keyboard layout. This is especially true in games like Shadow Fighter (AGA), in which the player has to perform a series of quick keyboard combinations in a certain order to produce a certain move. Of course, this question doesn't matter at all to those who play with Joystick, but so far I only played Amiga games in WinUAE using the keyboard, I only have a keyboard and a mouse, and never had a Joystick.

Page generated in 0.04813 seconds with 11 queries