View Single Post
Old 31 August 2009, 09:33   #12
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
OS4.x could have been possible, but IMO what is the point? Afterall it has no classic backwards compatibility for games; demos etc. all it would be is an enthusiast OS with little or no support and for that you may as well run AROS on x86 PC
It seems to me that these arguments apply to just about every type of hardware you could run OS4 on.

Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
OS4 was ported but wasn't released to Joe public, it probably won't ever be released now because it makes no commercial sense (they are a dead HW platform).
And they aren't already on a dead platform? I realize SAM440EP boards are still available, but it seems to me that they'd have a FAR larger audience for a Mac port than with just sticking to the insignificant number of extremely expensive PPC boards and accelerators that OS4 currently runs on.

Frankly, I think the only port that would make sense at this point is to x86, since that's all that's in serious production these days. I guess AROS has this covered though, since rewriting all the PPC code would take far too long.

Page generated in 0.05541 seconds with 9 queries