View Single Post
Old 31 August 2009, 01:36   #42
ATX - For Fun Not Status
Got to admit that I've been tentatively putting something together for a little while now. Not Amiga though - Why stick to the old technology when there's new hardware to explore? Flames to the usual address always welcome.

And when I say 'tentatively', what I mean is this:

- I get in touch with some old ATX members and ask if they want to do something. They agree and there is enthusiasm.
- I talk to some coder friends, they agree and there is more enthusiasm.
- We start to do some stuff and I/they remember just how much work all of that kind of stuff was.
- Things fizzle out and a year passes
- Repeat process from step 1...

What we're missing, as Photon has already alluded to, is young and keen talent who still have the buzz, and spare time, to do these things. Most of us 'old heads' have been there, seen it and done it. It may sound conceited, but we've not much left to prove. Besides, we've all got other things to do now and life has moved on. It _does_ still irk me that Anthrox never had a 'Mental Hangover' - IE, a scene changing demo. But then not many groups did!

It's my opinion that the rise in the console is largely to blame. Once you lost the keyboard and the disk-drive, you lost the ability to do your own thing. Yes, there's the Mac and PC. But they're not exactly appealing to the young gamer/geek in their cheapest forms. Sell the Xbox 360, Wii or PS3 with a decent OS, keyboard & mouse and a free compiler and you'll see a whole new scene.

Of course, some things that made the scene what is was will never come back. Mail trading? Why bother? BBS systems? Pointless. And let's not forget that a large part of the scene was driven by piracy. Good luck running an illegal group these days.

What does excite me is the level of collaboration that the Internet could provide. All of the geographical boundaries of the old days are now, effectively, gone. Plus the use of central code respositories and automated build systems could make it so, so easy for everyone to work on the same project. The possibilities, organisationally at least, are mind blowing.
Page generated in 0.05205 seconds with 9 queries