View Single Post
Old 26 August 2009, 15:00   #11
Originally Posted by viddi View Post
Nah, itīs a fake.

It has background anims and parallax scrolling.
So this stuff plus two large sprites fit in 128k? No way.
Even the Amiga version lacks animated backgrounds.

A decent conversion might be possible on the Plus machines, though.
games that are played from cartridges don't need to load sprites into memory, they directly copy the sprites from rom to video ram for display, that's why i think computers (msx for example) and console games with rom cartridges don't need a lot of ram, and usually has very small ram (like the snes 64kb); this small ram is used only to store game variables...

that's why, the sprites must always be uncompressed in cartridge type games, or very rarely they are compressed in rom and are decompressded on the fly on a part of the small ram, small step by small step in transition to get it whole to video ram on as single frame, for this a special decompressing chip is used. (like the case for super street fighter 2 turbo or alpha i think on the snes)

This also means that a game stored in cartridges is coded differently than a disc game that loads everything to memory;

And in the case a cartridge game is dumped to disc, it has to be loaded entirely in ram in order to be played. (example are msx games that need 64kb or less when in cartridge form, but need total cartridge rom size + variable space to allow to work as disc formats, and end up needing for example 128kb if the game rom itself is less than 128kb).

So, maybe if this CPC street fighter was on cartridge, as in cpc+, it may fit in the 128kb ram, but...even, i don't think the cpc can handle a game like that...

correct me if wrong, those are just speculations of my part
Page generated in 0.06025 seconds with 9 queries