View Single Post
Old 23 August 2009, 23:18   #19
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
  • Cannon Fodder
  • Leander
  • Lotus Esprit (all versions, the car seems so static...)
  • Project X
  • Pushover
  • Seek & Destroy (all versions)
  • SotB II
  • Super Stardust AGA
  • WipeOut 2097
Leander gets more fun on the third level onwards - drawback could be that it's easy to fall/get lost and so jumping up all the way again can get tedious. But I thought it was a polished neat game when it came.

Lotus Esprit series will give you some feedback It's fun both singleplayer and especially split-screen, the whole series! A very competent and adrenaline-inducing arcade "conversion".

SotB II: well I agree. Never saw the point with those, they not only lacked playability, they were anti-playable.

Agree a little with Project X, it was great fun just blowing up droves of enemies, but it got boring faster than other shoot'em-ups.

I'm assuming by mean by 'overrated', not "they didn't live up to the hype", but rather "got higher marks in the mags than they deserved"?

• Agony
  • Apprentice
  • Bart vs. the World
  • Body Blows
  • Flood
  • Heads over Heels
  • Iron Lord
  • Leisure Suit Larry (since one needs the walkthrough from the first moments)
  • Moonstone (nice port on MS-DOS, though)
  • Shadow Fighters
  • Turricane II
I thought Flood had good ideas and was fun, although I didn't have the oomph to get very far.

Head over Heels: ok, the graphics were too Spectrum-ish. Still, tons of hours spent on it, and some sick humor in there too No real difference from the C64 or Speccy version, but an ace game in my book, much more enjoyable than the "prequels".

Larry was the most fun of their series imo, but I was 16 so the juvenile sexist jokes worked on me Also I played it in school on the new hotness, the CAD PC was the only one with EGA :P Amiga version looks like shit tho.

Moonstone - looked to me as only a lot of fights where they changed the enemy sprites at the time, so I didn't try it more than once. Those who stuck with it says there's more depth to it?

• Chaos Engine (especially if you plan to play it without a human partner)
  • Gods AND Deliverance
  • Heimdall
  • Joe Blade
  • Lionheart
  • Monkey Island
  • Rick Dangerous
  • Shadow Dancer
  • SuperFrog
Well, "slightly overrated". Hm. Sound like you could leave these alone and find droves of more highly overrated ones, like all those games with awesome graphics that were utter shit to play Or 3D games that were slower than your grandma's car, so you couldn't play them at all.

Bitmap bros games all had ace gfx and sound, better than all the rest. Apart from the Speedballs I had trouble finding enjoyment or depth in them. Especially Xenon II was un-fun.

In general, many games were just frustratingly difficult. Some of them you just can't understand what made you play them. But when you had such a game you looked in the mags for tips&tricks&maps just to get further, and too see the pixel magic So I hope you mean "I bought this from a mag review in 1990 and it sucked" rather than "I played it in an emu with a joypad and it sucked".

Those are my opinions anyway.
Page generated in 0.05926 seconds with 9 queries