View Single Post
Old 05 August 2009, 18:33   #1
gleng

Thumbs up Another New Person

Hello!

I just joined up and thought I should make the obligatory new member post.

I've been using Amigas since 1980-something, so I'm not exactly "new" as such. I moved on to other interests for a few years, so it wasn't until 2004-ish that I discovered the existence of the ongoing Amiga communities, and next generation projects such as OS 4, MorphOS, and AROS. I've been reasonably regular over at Amigaworld.net since then, but I generally try to stay out of the arguments. That way madness lies.

I've been waiting around for a long time for the right OS/hardware combo to come along. OS4/Sam looks great, but I just can't justify the enormous expense. The (hopefully) upcoming MorphOS for the G4 Mac mini looks promising though.

While I've been waiting, I've been tinkering with my old classic hardware, and realising that using what I have (and trawling eBay for parts) is way, way more fun than just sitting around waiting for new stuff to come along.

I'm currently trying to build up a factory-spec A1200 into a decent machine for gaming, writing, and light web use. I've already installed the Kickstart 3.1 ROMs, an 18GB hard drive, a PCMCIA network card, and a Blizzard 1230-MK4. The next installment will probably be a scandoubler. Staring at a CRT TV is destroying my eyes.

I'm also in the process of doing up my old A500, which has a knackered keyboard and a melted RAM expansion. I also have an empty A600 case that I planned to put an Efika or something in, but I've yet to find a board that fits. At this rate I'll just end up building an A600 from scratch!

I found this forum while searching for info on Retr0bright, and thought it seemed like a great place to talk about classics, gaming, and general buggering about with old hardware, so here I am.

Bloody hell, that was a bit long actually.
AdSense AdSense  

Page generated in 0.04987 seconds with 9 queries