Thread: Amiga Vs ST
View Single Post
Old 31 July 2009, 00:39   #234
Toffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
Nice to meet you too & thanks

I didn't even know there was a Golden Axe 2-3

As far as the Amiga/ST goes I was also guilty of Gauntlet II, Hotrod, T2 (sorry), Motorhead (sorry squared) then just Amiga MKI, MKII and Primal Rage.

It was MKI that used a combination of hardware sprites and blitter for one of the characters, which caused the timing issues. I gave up for MKII and just used the blitter as I recall. My A500 rang it fine, but the testers at Probe kept getting screen issues which I couldnt replicate until I went down to London and saw it for myself. Only way to solve it was to stop using one pair of sprites or reduce the screen width by 16 pix. What has happening was a 16 colour sprite kept loosing 2 of its planes, so dropping to 4 colour because there was no DMA space for it.

The soft-sprite engine in these games was based on 16 x 16 pixel "tiles" which were all compressed. The 68000 would decompress a character into a buffer and the blitter would cookie cut it onto the screen generating a mask on the fly whilst the 68K decompressed the next tile etc. Nice parallel processing when the 68K could scrounge a clock cycle or 2 from the blitter.

The Amiga was very nice, you could also do LOADS of voodoo with the floppy disc controller too. ST was boring by comparison.
Unbelievable they wouldn't give you the graphic/sound files at least. Surley paying for a license they should have given you the graphics files ? Most those old arcade machines used the 68000 so the source code would have been very handy.

I really liked your conversion of Golden Axe. I'm sure there were strict deadlines and with no support from Sega it didn't make things easy. With a bit more more time how much better do think you could have made it ? I'm sure you could have found a way to make use of hardware sprites. Just look how Shadow of the Beast used them.

What did your Mortal Kombat team make of Elfmania ?

Page generated in 0.05820 seconds with 9 queries