Thread: Amiga Vs ST
View Single Post
Old 30 July 2009, 18:14   #210
Ricardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver View Post
Dynamic palettizing is the palette changed dynamically during the game. It's used in Golden Axe in order to counter the lack of color. You can check the effect on level 1 when you go thru the 1st level part to the rock part, and the rock part to the Boss area. Dynamic palettizing is common in coin-op machines....
Ah understood, I forgot about that - just checked the source code

Quote:
I stop you right here. The amiga was not really supported because most coders were only used to code mono-CPU machines like the atari ST at first. It's known for a fact that the amiga custom chips are not easy to code and use. This has nothing to do with the price.
Amiga hardware was straight forward once there was info available.

Quote:
Take a look at Mercs code, crippled of TRAP instructions and no hardware calls !. The game is slow as hell like most US gold that were straight ST ports.
Exactly at first they were just ropey ST ports.

Quote:
We had unambitious games, poor colors, rubbish sounds, poor playability in many cases.... For how many good ones ? Really bad ST conversion because the games to convert where almost impossible to port from the amiga to the ST. Look at Jim Power, Mr nutz, Lionheart. Those games are only possible on machines using co-processors and custom chips !
I'm glad you agree with my points.

Quote:
Ok, your move creep Which programs did you code for Amiga ? We are all here very curious to know your deeds
Golden Axe to name one lol. No need for language like that though, unless you're aged 9 I guess

Quote:
On amiga the 68K task is to drive the custom chips
Of course it was.

Quote:
Good coders know how to bypass this..... it's too limited to be used...
I know, and a sort routine of mine was used in loads of games to quickly determine the best sprites splits to use for a given scene.

Quote:
Bullshit, on the moment you code for A500,1000,2000 , it's up to you as coder to respect the compatibility. About timing issue,
I wasn't talking about the speeds of the hardware, I was talking about the hardware timing. With one game there were issues where half of a hardware sprite would glitch on some A500's whilst on others it didn't. It was because the memory timing was slightly out (after getting an oscilloscope on it). The DMA system couldn't be pushed 100% reliably. May have been better on A600 or A1200, but they were not about in sufficient numbers to dedicate time to them.

Quote:
Yes that was the common rules to kick the OS and then took over.
Really, thanks for agreeing.

Page generated in 0.06206 seconds with 9 queries