Thread: Amiga Vs ST
View Single Post
Old 30 July 2009, 17:15   #204
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
No, he said it is pixel identical not code identical. What he does say is that both are based on similiar code which what you expect when both machines use the same processor.

He goes on about the ST version using the well known feature of palette switching every cycle to simulate 4096 colours on screen. This is actually an ST only feature that he obviously added to make the ST version better. Yet, you still state they are code identical.

Once again, I ask you for the proof that David Braben never used any feature of the Amiga's custom chips? Also, if he didn't use them was it because he could'nt with a pure 3D game? I have proved he used an ST only feature, lets see if you can do the same.
The calculation parts are at least identical. The fact ST version use this 4096 colors trick is good ! the main thing for me on 3D games is speed.
if he had used custom chips, it would have delested a piece of work from the CPU, and it would have sped the game.

Also, i have owned a CPC 6128 that was my first machine. We all know it can't scroll like a C64, but it had excellent conversion from Atari ST. I love it for that, not counting the games that used excellent tricks. I then saw first games on atari ST at a friend's home. I played WOD, rick dangerous, r-type, twinworld, new zealand story, etc..... It was good until i got my amiga. All those game had mostly better sound, video, gfx. Even today,
when i play on my STE, i have a lot more games on it, but games are better on amiga, even if greatly coded on ST. The fact is the comparing always happen since i play on both machines. And 99% of the time, amiga versions are better. Only exceptions like Satan, after the war, (Introduction has not been incorporated on amiga.... pfff loosers > ),
the games are better on commodore machine. it's not fanboing (tm) it's reality. I'm more bragging about coding method. The fact that some games are bad on amiga not because the amiga is above everything, but because it's badly coded. And when an atarist comes up saying 'puh, the game is bad on my machine because it's not coded nor optimized for an atari ST',
he's forgetting that even with good programming, the game will be toned down. Due to the hardware. Once again it's not bashing, it's reality.

Page generated in 0.05249 seconds with 9 queries