Thread: Amiga Vs ST
View Single Post
Old 30 July 2009, 14:47   #191
Si-Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_b View Post
Assuming no DMA contention. Bitplane DMA contention slows the blitter on the Amiga down a fair bit. The STE one is a full implementation of bitblt with some extensions. It has a nice indirect addressing mode called smudge mode which can be used for very fast bitplane mirroring/scaling. A one pass cookie cutter mode would have been nice but the blitter on the STE gets an undeserved bad rep* It can hit the whole 24 bit address range (RAM/ROM/IO registers) too.

Frank

*yes it can bit shift for free before soemone brings that up!
Hi Frank yep thanx for that and yep I agree that DMA contention slows the blitter down for 4 and 5 plane PAL screen modes. I think that is what I was pointing out when I posted that quote from the Amiga Hardware Reference Manual about bit-plane DMA stealing cycles from the 68000 during display. I personally think the STE was what the ST should of been but Atari just released it too late.

I have seen another post from you by the way on another forum but cant remember which one. You do some calculations on the Amiga Blitter and STE Blitter and gave quite abit of info on them.

Ive read alot of posts on here from people who seem to be knocking both machines. I dont think almost any person who was an ST fan from back then deny that the Amiga had a hardware advantage over the ST but I personally think that just because a machine isnt best on the market doesnt mean it shouldnt have fans or be liked. I owned an Amiga and was and still am a big Amiga fan but I still respected the ST and the contribution it had in the market! These are machines that belong to a great era in computing and hardware differences aside both should be remembered as great machines.

Page generated in 0.05052 seconds with 9 queries