View Single Post
Old 23 July 2009, 19:23   #15
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I know relatively nothing about networking. I am so used to the "plug n play" networking of PC's.

All I had to do to get my X-Surf to work was give Miami DX the SANA II driver for the X-Surf and enter a static IP for the Amiga.

On the CD that came with the X-Surf is a "one-touch" Amiga-samba setup which mounted the Amiga drives to be visible on the PC network. I used that for quite a while but years later I installed the excellent AmigaExplorer (on the PC and Amiga) and once again it just worked.

Maybe if things go wrong it is a bitch to find the problem? For me, the experience was a good one, everything "just worked". Everyone's experiences are different. I should have said "Despite what loedown says; I did not find it difficult to set up"

For the odd file, 400Kb/s is good enough. To backup a hard drive, or transfer an entire collection of files I found it painfully slow. At first I used to put the Amiga hard drive in the PC and use WinUAE to transfer any quantity of data, now I use a CF card formatted FAT/FAT32.

Occasionally I still use the X-Surf (and AmigaExplorer) if I want to ADF a floppy disk and transfer to the PC without connecting the Amiga to a monitor or keyboard. It is very handy for that.

Just my experiences of networking with Amiga's.

Last edited by alexh; 23 July 2009 at 19:39.

Page generated in 0.04863 seconds with 11 queries