View Single Post
Old 23 July 2009, 16:56   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
From the 10 MBit/s network card you can expect up to 1 MByte/s data transfer rate.
Empirical evidence says otherwise. It depends entirely on what CPU you have and even then you do not even come close to the 1.2MiB/s theoretical limit. I have an A4000 with 040@40MHz and I get about 800Kbyte/s. The guy has an A2000! Possibly without an accelerator. He's going to get 200Kbytes - 400Kbytes / sec at most.

Get the right CF card and USB adapter and you'll get 25MiB/s to the CF card. You could copy the entire WHDload catalog in minutes.

Quote:
The IDE-CF solution is twice as fast at most. And you have to copy data twice, once to the CF card on the PC and another time from the CF to the Amiga HDD.
I understand where you are coming from, but you do not have to copy the data twice, you can leave it on the CF card and play from there. The CF card is probably 2x the size of the HDD in the Amiga anyhow!

Quote:
With the CF you have to watch it and catch the moment when to carry the disk to the other computer. If you have to wait several minutes anyway, it's much more pleasing not having to watch it during the entire process IMHO.
1) The computers are probably right next to each other.
2) You dont have to watch anything.

You are much more likely to be waiting using ethernet.

And we have not even approach the fact that you can get spurious interrupts from the network card which interferes with WHDload and you sometimes have to disable it.

Quote:
Money does not matter to everybody.
Does to everyone I've ever met. Maybe I need some richer mates

Last edited by alexh; 23 July 2009 at 17:08.

Page generated in 0.06983 seconds with 11 queries