View Single Post
Old 11 June 2009, 21:58   #136
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Here is the partially completed mdct file: mdct_l.txt

It's partial because I have a feeling that if I lossy optimize more, that it's going to sound bad and I want your opinion about the sound quality first.

What I've done is (besides the two optims I've showed you earlier) lossy optimze the bunch of blocks between:
Code:
; on sort avec d0-d1 pour calcul suivant

; 2. valeurs 2,e,14,20
; on utilise le fait que 3b21=32c6+85b et 3f74=26f6+187e
and
Code:
; 4. phase d'écriture, pour nos 6 valeurs
; attn : il faut lire les valeurs (a3) avant de les réécrire !
 moveq #14,d6			; ça va durer tout le long
; si je déplace les asr ici, on ne peut plus pipeliner le dernier write
and I've replaced the first of the incredible code blocks. I had to figure out what the zmac macro did. Am I correct when I say that it just does this:
Code:
zmac macro
    muls.w  \1,\2
    add.l   \2,\3
 endm
if you change
Code:
 mc -z2263,z133f...
to
Code:
 mc #-$2263,#$133f...
or did I get it wrong? It seems to work just fine. I had to know, because those mc lines are the easiest reference.

Anyway, I checked your mp3s, and one of them does sound bloody awful in low quality, so I just did the tests in high quality. There seemed to be little difference between your original version, and my lossy version, but a second ear is always useful. As for the music styles, I just have to say that I've heard far worse, they're not half bad
Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Ok. Check, mate.
Nice pun I will, but first the mpeg library.
Quote:
Sorry. Only a few stereo streams can be played realtime (and with quality set to low).
This is certainly something that may be a problem, because stereo music sounds better in stereo, it sound clearer. The channels are different, and adding them up can mask sounds.
Quote:
Check your PM.
Got them, thanks. As said, the music isn't bad, but it's not my style, I mostly listen to different varieties of house music, so don't worry, I'll delete them when I don't need them anymore.
Quote:
Sounds good.
You can say that again. No matter how good the hours are, a person needs a break sometimes
Quote:
A concrete case ?
Don't know yet, haven't looked into it (yet).
Quote:
Maybe. Cache consists of 16 blocks of 16 bytes. I do not know its filling algorithm, cache-overrun timings are mysterious to me. But my tests have shown that if your loop is 240 consecutive bytes or less, it will always fit.
Okay, but why not add an in-source option to toggle between aligning and debug compatibility? I'd test proper alignment if I were you, if it works (it should, shouldn't it?), then that's up to eight extra instructions that will fit in the cache. Perhaps 16 byte aligning will work as well, wastes less space.
Quote:
A quick look won't cost...
You're right, of course. They're probably not that common, though, and that will drive the price up, because I'm not the only one who wants one. Anyway, it's just a luxury, a network card is more useful right now.
Quote:
Yeah, sure. But it's going to the dark side anyway.
Yes, it is, but only because I want a new peecee to play games on
Quote:
It makes no sense, apart making more money out of the unsatisfied users...
... and at a certain point they're going to understand that they're not getting what they could be getting.
Quote:
I hope I'll see that.
So do I, but it will probably happen.
Quote:
Not much fun ? Yeah, it may even make you seriously consider the x86
That bad, eh? I know it's a load/store kind of system, that's it. Reminds me of the old 8bit cpus... 68k just rules
Quote:
Practically. You've already got some experience with my comments anyway :-)
True, and I almost understand them. If only my vocabulary was large enough...
Quote:
One day I'll try to comment code in Elfish/

Quote:
You've setup frequency division to 2 in Hippo. So if you play 44100Hz MP3 (and I bet you do) you'll end up with 22050.
Now you set up an unfair limit of 20000 in DT. So if you play 44.1 MP3 (you do, don't you ?) the player can't use 22050 (yes, 22050>20000) and it will switch the freq div to 4, leading to 11025 Hz. And that's really AM radio quality, as you said.

The frequency you give is a limit to compute the freq_div value. Ability to use arbitrary ratios would be overly complex, so only values 1,2,4 are supported.
If you play a 22050 MP3 (there are some), you can play it with freq_div=1, so specifying freq_div directly is not good. I put 25000, but writing 22222 or 28836 would make no difference (for 44100).
I already had Delitracker installed, so I guess it used the old settings The problem was solved, because I made a fresh system installation. After having some problems with idefix (powercomputing registration code, go figure ), and seeing how messy my system actually was (lot's of stuff I had copied to it without needing it), I thought, what the heck, why not make a very clean Workbench. Problem solved.

Silly handling of the frequency divider on Delitrackers part. Could've been done much better, because allowing the user to enter a frequency implies that this will be the output frequency.
Quote:
libs: doesn't need to be assigned to ram:. It will work just because it's in the same dir as DT.
But I don't have DT in ram, it's on my hd, so I just have the script copy the assembled library to HD0:libs, works perfectly.
Quote:
If you have a complete DT2 somewhere, then you have an "ARexx" dir showing you examples. I can help too if you have trouble, of course.
Haven't done it yet, because I'm still using HIP, and my script works perfectly.
Quote:
Yeah, but it would have sucked less than AM radio ;-)
Could be so, but if it needs that awful filter, then it ain' good, man I just hate that filter
Quote:
The mere fact it can't be extended by custom players makes it unsuitable for me.
Can't it? Isn't it open source these days? But I understand it would still suck, because of the player group file. Bad design choice.
Quote:
Cards with Prism2 chip, such as NetGear MA-401, work well. It's just too bad there is no free access point close to my home.
I might just order a card from Amigakit. You'll get software, and support a great Amiga shop As for access, how much is broadband in France? You won't need the fastest package.
Quote:
Could be much better, but nothing else suits my needs.
It probably is, but the gui just blows chunks. Grr

Page generated in 0.08464 seconds with 12 queries