View Single Post
Old 08 June 2009, 13:42   #134
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
What can experiments reveal ? There are 16 routines for high, 8 for medium, 4 for low and I don't know why one is taken at a given call. And if you take the wrong one, output will certainly be wrong too.
All right, that's clear. As said I'll check it out.
Quote:
It's necessary to reach realtime for now, unless you use a very low bitrate (such as 64kbps) and use low quality. But mono isn't that bad : the vast majority of mp3s have very little difference between left and right channels.
Okay, I'll test using mono then
Quote:
It's more about the contents, even though high bitrates should be (a little bit) more sensitive than low ones and block types/stereo mode can change a few things too.
If you're short on mp3s, you can PM me to borrow a few ones. I have at least one where the difference between medium and high qualities can clearly be heard.
Yes, I think it's a good idea to send those to me. By the way, I only have high bit rate ones (highest rate).
Quote:
But you told me that your "lossy" version sounded OK for you, so you have something already.
Yes, but I had only done what I showed you. What I meant was that I want to do a lot more similar optimizations to see how far it can be stretched. As for doing it in the weekend, I didn't have a lot of time, so I couldn't do much. This is the reason I didn't promise anything (I knew there was a good change I wouldn't have much time). However, I've taken this week off, so I have a lot of time this week.
Quote:
I prefer the two versions idea ; it's the path to take for a start anyway.
So do I. It let's the user choose what they want easily.
Quote:
Not lea of course.
It's things such as chk/chk2, trapv, rtr, cas/cas2, negx, nbcd, reset, move16.
If you have a good use for them then I really want to see it !
Well, I can certainly try to come up with something
Quote:
Aligning to 256 bytes will do no good because cache lines are 16 bytes. I tried aligning to 16 bytes and it raises the value to 242. Wow. Not to mention I don't like aligning the code because it makes disassembled code unreadable (e.g. when debugging) and is, more often than not, a pure waste of space.
Odd, I thought 256 byte aligning enabled the use of the entire cache. Must be a brain glitch
Quote:
Perhaps they can still be found e.g. on eBay or similar sites.
Yes, and probably for way to much cash Damn, I really want one.
Quote:
It's not M$. They're forced to use it too (but I like the bomb idea anyway)
In fact it's your fault (You have a PC at home, don't you ? There would have been no x86 everywhere if no-one to buy them !)
Hey now, I didn't buy my peecee. The neighbor of a guy at work was going to throw the thing away, so the guy at work took the thing, and ended up giving it to me. Although I've spent money on the machine, I did not buy it
Quote:
More seriously, it's simply because all existing software would no longer work on a non-x86 machine.
X86 is going to end one day, trust me. It makes no sense to stick to it for another 20 years.
Quote:
I wish this happens soon !!!
But will users who know nothing but their pile of poo want to change ?
If it benefits them they might.
Quote:
Or switch directly to IA64. PPC is rumoured to be quite funny too (if you like to puke).
Risc is probably not much fun to code in by hand, but I have no experience with that.
Quote:
I understand. Having too many projects means never finishing one. And the mpeg library is a good idea ;-)
Indeed.
Quote:
It's never too late to learn. After all if you know English you also know 20,000 words of French or so. Shouldn't be very difficult/
French is practically around the corner, so no, it's not that hard.
Quote:
Because you can count on my laziness, as translated comments aren't automatic for me !
I only comment in English. Always have, always will, while Dutch is really my first language.
Quote:
And my way is just too far from everyone else's.
Perhaps.
Quote:
You can reformat as you read...
Yeah, I do that anyway.
Quote:
It's for trackers with more than 4 channels (or using frequencies higher than 28.8). For MP3 it would be a pure waste of CPU power (because of mixing), if not a loss of quality (because of frequency change).
I see now.
Quote:
But it IS 14-bit even on your machine. Something else is wrong.
Yes, you're right...
Quote:
Those are NOT the settings I gave out !
Now try setting the frequencies to 25000 like I did (not 20000), the quality to high, still mono, and tell me the result
And don't tell me you don't want to do that (like with filter). TRY IT !
...25000 is indeed what you set the config to. It works now, and, of course, it sounded much better. Finally
Quote:
Ok, no need for snoopdos output anyway now.
But then why can't you give me that lossy version ?
Because it's not finished. As said, there were only the optimizations I've showed you. I've done a few more last weekend (not much) and I'll do more this week. Witch leads me to a question: Where on earth can I find the macro zmacro? I can't find it!
Quote:
I do that in ram: without using libs: to store the library. It works if the lib is only there.
If libs: is assigned to ram:. Anyway, I made the script, and it works like a charm with Hippo: Make changes, run scripts, play mp3 in Hippo. That simple
Quote:
With DT you can use a script as well. You can even do this in ARexx, to command DT by script : even the mp3 loading would then be done automatically. I can help if you don't know how to do that.
If this can all be automated, then I have just become interested in Delitracker. Please show me how it's done, or is it in the manual?
Quote:
I'm sure it would have sounded better in our case anyway...
Not to me, because the filter chops off too many high frequencies, and to me that just sucks.
Quote:
First it is DT, then it's my monitor, eh ?
But no my friend, it's not that. Try setting frequency division to 4 in Hippo and compare with DT output. Can't you guess what's really going on then ?
Hey man, I was just guessing Anyway it's all solved now.
Quote:
That's something I already tried in the past. There are still quite a few "equ" directives at start of code to activate some lossy tests. But cpu gain wasn't enormous and I dropped the idea.
I'll just keep going at it.
Quote:
Ah, yes, that horror. I think I trashed it.
Nooooo
Quote:
So it has a better quality than DT, eh ? Perhaps it has different cpu use too ?
As said, it's solved. And I do think Hippo uses more cpu time
Quote:
Burn the files to CD ??? Can't you use CF cards instead ?
No, I can't because I don't have CF cards Besides, I want a pcmcia network adapter. Much better for me.
Quote:
DT's mpega player is better than that simple double-buffering. It can store up to 10 pre-computed seconds of music, but it doesn't need the buffers to be full before starting. Also if you set freq div to 2, you won't play a 22 khz mp3 at full quality. DT will (with correct settings, of course).
I'm starting to think that Deli is indeed better than Hippo
Quote:
Even if you put different colors at start of the three sfb_x routines in subb_f.s ?
Yes, always, although at first I couldn't find the used code (for the used settings) in subb_f.s, when I tried to change things I did also use colors. And with the script I've made it's almost not needed anymore.
Quote:
Nope. Definitely not.

But I don't need to check data path any longer. I know what happens now. I suppose you do too, or you will by the time of answering (at least you should know what to do to fix it).
You were right all a long. It's just that I've had three 1084s and I've always been amazed at how much better a stereo system sounds. Sorry mate

Page generated in 0.05327 seconds with 11 queries