View Single Post
Old 05 June 2009, 19:28   #133
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
I haven't thought about that yet, but won't experiments reveal the best results? I've only looked over the code quickly, but I'll look at it more deeply.
What can experiments reveal ? There are 16 routines for high, 8 for medium, 4 for low and I don't know why one is taken at a given call. And if you take the wrong one, output will certainly be wrong too.

Quote:
Don't worry, I'm not dropping them
I just said "not too fast"

Quote:
Right, I forgot that, too. However, I don't like mono, and never use it. For the sake of running tests I think I can make an exception
It's necessary to reach realtime for now, unless you use a very low bitrate (such as 64kbps) and use low quality. But mono isn't that bad : the vast majority of mp3s have very little difference between left and right channels.

Quote:
Haven't checked yet, but I'll certainly do so in the weekend, but I must admit that I don't have many. Would it help to encode some mp3s at different settings, or is it about the contents?
It's more about the contents, even though high bitrates should be (a little bit) more sensitive than low ones and block types/stereo mode can change a few things too.
If you're short on mp3s, you can PM me to borrow a few ones. I have at least one where the difference between medium and high qualities can clearly be heard.

Quote:
Then you'll have to wait a bit. I'll probably get back to it during the weekend, but I'm not promising a thing
But you told me that your "lossy" version sounded OK for you, so you have something already.

Quote:
Actually, what I'm thinking of is a simple text file with the extended settings. Should work with everything. It might be better to simply make two versions.
I prefer the two versions idea ; it's the path to take for a start anyway.

Quote:
Witch ones?
Not lea of course
It's things such as chk/chk2, trapv, rtr, cas/cas2, negx, nbcd, reset, move16.
If you have a good use for them then I really want to see it !

Quote:
Maybe it's time to align the code to 256 bytes so the cache handles it properly. If you do, that's eight extra instructions.
Aligning to 256 bytes will do no good because cache lines are 16 bytes. I tried aligning to 16 bytes and it raises the value to 242. Wow. Not to mention I don't like aligning the code because it makes disassembled code unreadable (e.g. when debugging) and is, more often than not, a pure waste of space.

Quote:
Indeed Makes me wish I had a scsi expansion for my Blizzard
Perhaps they can still be found e.g. on eBay or similar sites.

Quote:
By whom? Microsucks? If so, then perhaps it's an idea to drop a big bomb on all the M$ offices, etc, problem solved
It's not M$. They're forced to use it too (but I like the bomb idea anyway)
In fact it's your fault (You have a PC at home, don't you ? There would have been no x86 everywhere if no-one to buy them !)

More seriously, it's simply because all existing software would no longer work on a non-x86 machine.

Quote:
Anyway, in the future all that shite will be dropped anyway. No one is going to stick to a pile of poo for ever.
I wish this happens soon !!!
But will users who know nothing but their pile of poo want to change ?

Quote:
Oh noes, 8bit assembler sucks. I know, because I used to code on the C64. I'm never ever going back there. IA32 is probably more fun
Or switch directly to IA64. PPC is rumoured to be quite funny too (if you like to puke).

Quote:
It sounds cool, but I'm not getting into any new projects. Getting into too many used to be one of my bad habits, and it's not happening again. Let's first work on the mpeg library
I understand. Having too many projects means never finishing one. And the mpeg library is a good idea ;-)

Quote:
Your comments look fine, it's just that they're in French, that's all. Makes me wish I took it more seriously in high school
It's never too late to learn. After all if you know English you also know 20,000 words of French or so. Shouldn't be very difficult

Because you can count on my laziness, as translated comments aren't automatic for me !

Quote:
You're absolutely right. It's all quite subjective.
And my way is just too far from everyone else's

Quote:
Hmm, I like them more spaced out
You can reformat as you read...

Quote:
Hehe, I don't think so, mate, not this guy.
Oh yeah ? I wonder why

Quote:
Well, Delitracker doesn't seem to output in 14 bit by default, so I thought the genie was needed. If not, what is it for then?
It's for trackers with more than 4 channels (or using frequencies higher than 28.8). For MP3 it would be a pure waste of CPU power (because of mixing), if not a loss of quality (because of frequency change).

Quote:
Doesn't sound like it, though. Odd.
But it IS 14-bit even on your machine. Something else is wrong.

Quote:
I could, but I know them. Everything is set to low quality, and all the frequencies are set to 20000, and the player is set to mono. Don't need a grab for that
Those are NOT the settings I gave out !
Now try setting the frequencies to 25000 like I did (not 20000), the quality to high, still mono, and tell me the result
And don't tell me you don't want to do that (like with filter). TRY IT !

Quote:
What I actually meant is that the lossy optims sound the same as the library you supplied in the archive. Furthermore, I don't need snoopdos for this. What I did was simple: Each time I changed something, I also changed the test colors used, and this has worked each time. Trust me, I'm not doing it wrong
Ok, no need for snoopdos output anyway now.
But then why can't you give me that lossy version ?

Quote:
Right. I'm still sticking to Hippo for now, though. Easier to use for this. And I'm making a script as well. It will assemble the library, copy it to hd0:libs/ and flush the library. Then all I have to do is play an mp3.
I do that in ram: without using libs: to store the library. It works if the lib is only there.

With DT you can use a script as well. You can even do this in ARexx, to command DT by script : even the mp3 loading would then be done automatically. I can help if you don't know how to do that.

Quote:
I never ever use that awful filter, it's useless to me because it makes things sound worse, please don't ask me to go there
I'm sure it would have sounded better in our case anyway...

Quote:
As for what's going on, it's simple, I'm using a full stereo set with old kef speakers, and you're using your 1084S' internal speakers. On a stereo system you can't get away with as much as on those internal speakers, and it's something you really have to take in account when doing audio work. Your settings probably sound fine on your 1084S, but not on my system (again, not very advanced and the kefs tweeters are blow, so I'm using cheap Aiwa satellites for high freqs).
First it is DT, then it's my monitor, eh ?
But no my friend, it's not that. Try setting frequency division to 4 in Hippo and compare with DT output. Can't you guess what's really going on then ?

Quote:
Why not? It's not much work. I'll see if I can get it done during the weekend, but as said, I'm not promising anything.
That's something I already tried in the past. There are still quite a few "equ" directives at start of code to activate some lossy tests. But cpu gain wasn't enormous and I dropped the idea.

Quote:
The one currently on Aminet: Hippoplayer 2.45
Ah, yes, that horror. I think I trashed it

So it has a better quality than DT, eh ? Perhaps it has different cpu use too ?

Quote:
As for the settings, I have an Idefix problem, witch means I can't transfer the file right now (I have to burn the file to cd, and I don't feel like fixing it now, either, sorry )
Burn the files to CD ??? Can't you use CF cards instead ?

Quote:
so here goes: Just set mpeg quality to 0 and the frequency divider to 2 and don't forget to set the program to use calibration, and use double buffering. As far as I know, that's it. Probably not important, but I use a 128kb sample buffer.
DT's mpega player is better than that simple double-buffering. It can store up to 10 pre-computed seconds of music, but it doesn't need the buffers to be full before starting. Also if you set freq div to 2, you won't play a 22 khz mp3 at full quality. DT will (with correct settings, of course).

Quote:
Yes, as said I changed the colors each time I changed something in the source code.
Even if you put different colors at start of the three sfb_x routines in subb_f.s ?

Quote:
I'll test again, but it's probably due to the fact that your settings are based on the 1084S speakers, and not a stereo system witch is really needed.
Nope. Definitely not.

But I don't need to check data path any longer. I know what happens now. I suppose you do too, or you will by the time of answering (at least you should know what to do to fix it).

Page generated in 0.05067 seconds with 11 queries