View Single Post
Old 03 June 2009, 23:13   #132
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
But this part poses a problem anyway : it decides of which routine to call, and I don't know on which criteria ! (apart the 3 quality settings)
I haven't thought about that yet, but won't experiments reveal the best results? I've only looked over the code quickly, but I'll look at it more deeply.
Quote:
Yes. But it can be useful if we are able to reach medium quality, so don't drop it too fast.
Don't worry, I'm not dropping them
Quote:
Please select "mono" if you try hi-q. Else you'll get something way too slow.
Right, I forgot that, too. However, I don't like mono, and never use it. For the sake of running tests I think I can make an exception
Quote:
Check with several very different MP3. I've already had bad surprises while doing so...
Haven't checked yet, but I'll certainly do so in the weekend, but I must admit that I don't have many. Would it help to encode some mp3s at different settings, or is it about the contents?
Quote:
So... test it.
If you have a version that works OK for you, I can test it too, so just give it to me.
Then you'll have to wait a bit. I'll probably get back to it during the weekend, but I'm not promising a thing
Quote:
It is difficult to add new config things because the library would become incompatible - or actual programs using it would never use the new stuff.
However it can be linked with the "low" and "medium" settings.
Actually, what I'm thinking of is a simple text file with the extended settings. Should work with everything. It might be better to simply make two versions.
Quote:
Yeah, 68k's move is incredibly powerful. But it is true that there are quite a few useless instructions.
Witch ones?
Quote:
Beware : my tests have shown that loop must remain within 240 bytes.
Maybe it's time to align the code to 256 bytes so the cache handles it properly. If you do, that's eight extra instructions.
Quote:
Anyway now it's too late to change that.
Indeed Makes me wish I had a scsi expansion for my Blizzard
Quote:
Because they are forced to use it. Like everyone else.
By whom? Microsucks? If so, then perhaps it's an idea to drop a big bomb on all the M$ offices, etc, problem solved Anyway, in the future all that shite will be dropped anyway. No one is going to stick to a pile of poo for ever.
Quote:
Get an old 8-bit computer if you like challenges so much.
Oh noes, 8bit assembler sucks. I know, because I used to code on the C64. I'm never ever going back there. IA32 is probably more fun
Quote:
I have some sources for OGG that need to be ported to ASM. Interested ?
It sounds cool, but I'm not getting into any new projects. Getting into too many used to be one of my bad habits, and it's not happening again. Let's first work on the mpeg library
Quote:
That's what I think I do... for those who can understand them, of course.
Your comments look fine, it's just that they're in French, that's all. Makes me wish I took it more seriously in high school
Quote:
On second thought, it can be just a matter of habits. The closer the code is from your own way of making it, the more readable you'll find it.
You're absolutely right. It's all quite subjective.
Quote:
You haven't seen a lot of C code ? Ya are a lucky guy then/
I know
Quote:
I prefer using blank lines for things which are not related to each other, and if things become a mess I'd prefer adding a comment.
But I admit I like things that are small and compact/
Hmm, I like them more spaced out
Quote:
Disassemble a whole game and you'll see.
Hehe, I don't think so, mate, not this guy.
Quote:
mpegaplayer will never use the 14 bit genie whatever you do. Why do you want this anyway ?
Well, Delitracker doesn't seem to output in 14 bit by default, so I thought the genie was needed. If not, what is it for then?
Quote:
It outputs in 14 bit, doesn't need the genie for that.
Doesn't sound like it, though. Odd.
Quote:
I think there's nothing wrong with my quality settings ; could you provide me a screen grab showing them ? Perhaps I messed up the config files.
I could, but I know them. Everything is set to low quality, and all the frequencies are set to 20000, and the player is set to mono. Don't need a grab for that
Quote:
Strange thing, that is... Can you get a Snoopdos output for both of them, from the point you load the player to the point the file is playing ?
What I actually meant is that the lossy optims sound the same as the library you supplied in the archive. Furthermore, I don't need snoopdos for this. What I did was simple: Each time I changed something, I also changed the test colors used, and this has worked each time. Trust me, I'm not doing it wrong
Quote:
Just eject player, flush libs, and reload player.
Right. I'm still sticking to Hippo for now, though. Easier to use for this. And I'm making a script as well. It will assemble the library, copy it to hd0:libs/ and flush the library. Then all I have to do is splay an mp3.
Quote:
I really want to know what's going on !
Is final playtime right ? Does activating the audio filter do any good ? (click on quotation mark icon, then "filter" check-box)
I never ever use that awful filter, it's useless to me because it makes things sound worse, please don't ask me to go there

As for what's going on, it's simple, I'm using a full stereo set with old kef speakers, and you're using your 1084S' internal speakers. On a stereo system you can't get away with as much as on those internal speakers, and it's something you really have to take in account when doing audio work. Your settings probably sound fine on your 1084S, but not on my system (again, not very advanced and the kefs tweeters are blow, so I'm using cheap Aiwa satellites for high freqs).
Quote:
Perhaps, yes.
Why not? It's not much work. I'll see if I can get it done during the weekend, but as said, I'm not promising anything.
Quote:
Which version of Hippo are you using, so I can check the exact same things ? Can I get the very same config file for it too ?
The one currently on Aminet: Hippoplayer 2.45

As for the settings, I have an Idefix problem, witch means I can't transfer the file right now (I have to burn the file to cd, and I don't feel like fixing it now, either, sorry ), so here goes: Just set mpeg quality to 0 and the frequency divider to 2 and don't forget to set the program to use calibration, and use double buffering. As far as I know, that's it. Probably not important, but I use a 128kb sample buffer.
Quote:
Did you use colors with DT as well ?
Yes, as said I changed the colors each time I changed something in the source code.
Quote:
If things still go wrong, I can make a booby-trapped lib for you, to see the data path.
I'll test again, but it's probably due to the fact that your settings are based on the 1084S speakers, and not a stereo system witch is really needed.

Last edited by Thorham; 03 June 2009 at 23:22.

Page generated in 0.08855 seconds with 11 queries