View Single Post
Old 30 May 2009, 16:09   #130
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
This part can be reduced quite a lot, but it's not worth because it doesn't have a measurable impact on speed.
Yeah, sorry, I noticed that too late.
Quote:
Lossy ? Did I read lossy ?
Did you measure the decoding time it gets ?
No, I didn't, I just wanted to know the effect of this lossy optimization. I'm also going to replace all of the multiply blocks with lossy optimizations too hear how it sounds. When that's done, and it's worth it, I'll take measurements.
Quote:
*ahem* Perhaps you need to know that the purpose of this optimization is actually to raise quality, not lower it.
Didn't know that. In that case my lossy optims are pointless in a high quality version.
Quote:
If you want to be faster with lower quality, just select "medium" instead of "high" (and it will sound better than you think)
I've tested with high in Deli, and it doesn't sound as good as the lossy optims+Hippo. Odd...
Quote:
*cough*
Indeed
Quote:
Funny, but dangerous. Many coefficients here are zero, and if you change constants there may seem to be no difference. And one day you'll check an MP3 with much higher values and get bogus sound.
Possible, but still worth trying in my opinion.
Quote:
Lossy things like that can be subject to quality settings, but they need to gain a lot of cpu power to be really acceptable. Is it the case here ?
Depends. If all of those mul blocks can be made like the one I showed you, then it might actually save a nice amount of cpu time. Simply has to be tested.
Quote:
Besides, they're not acceptable at all for high quality setting, and this is the ultimate goal.
Of course they aren't. I'm actually thinking about making those lossy optims an option that can be set in a config file, or something.
Quote:
I find this strange. Even though there are insns that are not useful, lea isn't among them !
True, but I guess move takes care of everything. But I'm not doing that anymore. Time to use lea
Quote:
Well, it wasn't by the time you posted, but now it can (see attached file).
Cool! I'll take a look and see if it's possible to do even more
Quote:
Of course, if you see things like that ;-)
That's how I see it
Quote:
This is cheap solution. Using dma would require to add a new dma channel.
Also, HD back in 1992 weren't fast enough to push this system to its limits.
It's cheap indeed. Dma is still better I this case, because the cpu doesn't have to read the data. Always better.
Quote:
Not more expensive if it finally takes over like x86 did. Probably cheaper in fact, because of simpler architecture. You just need equal sales volume.
Okay, but then why are they using a more complex architecture if it doesn't make for a faster cpu?
Quote:
About the challenge, there can still be some. If it's not making it faster, could be making it smaller. Or make enormous computations (such as video encoding or world simulations) run faster
Yes, but I personally like Amiga speeds, it makes more things challenging
Quote:
I have some fun in store for you then/
Okay, show me then!
Quote:
This is what I'm doing, actually. Other layers are a remote todo list/
Good, keep them there
Quote:
I want to see yours then.
It depends on your ability to describe things in a clear and compact way.
Quote:
That depends on the coders reading skills/
Not in my opinion
Quote:
IMO the worse coding style is the most frequently used one...
Perhaps. I haven't seen a lot of C code, so I wouldn't know.
Quote:
Unsure. More lines in overall means less meaningful lines on actual view.
Yes, but a routine is often made up out of smaller parts of multiple instructions. In my opinion these parts should be separated by blank lines, which I do a little bit too often, perhaps. The key is not over doing it.
Quote:
Yeah, that sure is big, but there are bigger ones.
Like what?
Quote:
Don't turn on mixing, it's useless and just wastes time (and it won't use 14bit genie). Also don't use AHI, or quality will decrease (but then you deserved it) !
Alright, but how do I get Deli to use the 14 bit genie?
Quote:
If DT2 is dreadful on your machine, then there's something wrong with your setup...
Besides, if it's really dreadful, then it's not DT but its mpegaplayer plugin.
Well, besides not using the 14 bit genie, it's actually your quality settings that don't sound to hot.
Quote:
Or... Are you SURE it wasn't one of your lossy tests which got used ?
Absolutely. Also, I've been using Hippo all the time after getting really annoyed with Deli. I tried Deli out of the box, just the way you supplied it. And like I said, the lossy optims sound fine in Hippo.
Quote:
I forgot to tell you that doing a lib flush isn't enough : you must also eject the mpega player before ! (open the players window and click on "clear" to do this quickly)
Right. I thought you had to restart the program for this .
Quote:
Or... Are you playing something with settings just too high ? If so, it'll sound bad but it's just because there are small "holes" in the replay. If you check "mono" the quality will be normal. Playing with settings your cpu can't handle is looking for bad quality/
That's not what I mean with bad quality. What I mean is AM radio like quality. Not that that dreadful, but it's going in that direction.
Quote:
It's worth trying (if I have something new to actually test), even though I prefer to have timings up to the frame even for 30 seconds...
Can't say I disagree here.
Quote:
Such short cuts are for low, perhaps medium, qualities only. Not for high, and high is the goal.
High is going to be tough, mate, good luck. Perhaps a separate lossy version?
Quote:
Sometimes the mul just can't be avoided... and then you're happy when you have a 060 !
Indeed.
Quote:
But Deli doesn't give worse quality than Hippo...
Odd, guess I'll try again.
Quote:
There aren't many now, apart in the not time critical parts.
Okay, I guess they can stay in then.
Quote:
Perhaps it's just that 14 bit calibration problem again. I have no trouble with DT.
To me Deli is a headache man. And it's not a calibration problem. Calibrated 14 bit sounds better than non calibrated, but non calibrated still sounds a million times better than 8 bit.
Quote:
Didn't you try DT after your lossy tests ? I suspect this version wasn't used by Hippo (perhaps it holds the lib permanently) but later used by DT !
While I did try Deli with my lossy optims, I also tried it out of the box. Further more, Hippo doesn't hold the library, I know this because I have used the color macros in your source code, cycling through colors as I changed more things. A flush lib is enough.
Quote:
There are none.
Sad
Quote:
Btw if you really think it's crap when playing MP3, I have resourced the player too. But it's not that. Quality on DT is same as decoded wave and if it's not the case for you there's something wrong and it's not DT itself.
Perhaps, maybe I'm just screwing up, maybe there is something else. I'll try to figure it out.

Page generated in 0.04957 seconds with 11 queries