View Single Post
Old 09 May 2009, 17:18   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loedown View Post
Accelerator I have, a GVP '030 Combo board, so I should be able to use SFS
Yes.

You'll still need to find out what version of hard disk driver you have on the SCSI controller to see if you can use big hard drives. v4.15 was the last. Unfortunately I do not know the history of GVP hard disk drivers and so I cannot tell you the minimum version you need.

Open a CLI window and type "version gvpscsi.device"

Quote:
now what are the requirements?
?? A method of getting the SFS software from the internet onto your Amiga. A spare hard drive to try it with or a backup of your hard drive & set of working workbench disks in case something goes wrong.

Quote:
I would think that SFS stood for Slow File System, as opposed to Fast File System and Professional File System
Thought is not a very good tool, Google however would have revealed : SMART File System

Quote:
could the benefits and detriments of each system be outlayed here?l
Try and find out.

Benefits :
  • The main one is speed, SFS & PFS are usually much MUCH faster than even the last version of FFS using the same disk controller. Speed is achieved by using caches and more intelligent coding.
  • Disk Validation, FFS requires long periods of validation if corruption took place perhaps by a power off during a write. SFS and PFS use something like a journalling file system which means it does not need to validate.
Detriments: Fewer tools such as defragmentation and disk recovery but then who ever uses them these days?

Last edited by alexh; 09 May 2009 at 17:28.

Page generated in 0.06153 seconds with 9 queries