View Single Post
Old 08 May 2009, 00:15   #1
Ever worried that disks you dumped turned out to be bad?

I was just thinking this myself lately. Many moons ago I contributed a fair few dumps on here of stuff I at least considered rare, such as an Oracle-cracked beta of James Pond 1 I had in my disk collection during the 90's. Thing is, I dumped it using the disk2fdi method (which involved using 2 internal floppy drives), and while there seemed to be no loading/major problems through WinUAE if I recall correctly, I do wonder whether my dumping method produced any bad blocks/sectors/bytes somewhere down the line (and I know this can be a major issue judging by the "bad cracks" thread elsewhere on this forum). And I know disk2fdi wasn't the most reliable tool on the block after seeing it produce bad/non-working dumps of some other disks of mine back then.

Alas this is an issue I am no longer able to resolve due to not having an Amiga, nor the disk in question - not that I ever had the right Amiga to use more 'mature' dumping tools to begin with! I know that the disk in question has since been added to TOSEC (been in there for many years now actually), and I would love to know whether it's a good dump or not (I assume the TOSEC copy is taken from my dump anyhow - unless someone else out there was lucky to possess exactly the same thing also!) - I'm just not quite sure how you go about checking for bad sectors on a disk and what not. What programs do you recommend? Bear in mind this'll all have to be done through WinUAE, which should hopefully be good enough.

AdSense AdSense  
Page generated in 0.06241 seconds with 9 queries