View Single Post
Old 23 March 2009, 10:55   #57
mr.vince
Cheesy crust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Bert should have said 'copylock style', the only similarity is that Turrican tests a protection track, but its not Copylock
Have to dig this out because I did actually play with C20 a bit last night.

You're right, T1 has additional protection tracks that are in some way similar to Copylock, but are implemented differently (there is no serial number / fancy density gaming). It's still a track that can not be written with a standard Amiga, even with a speed-modified drive.

Looking at the other two, T2 + T3, they "just" have longtracks, with the second one being really at the edge of what you'd want to do with a DD disk. Even with the very precise timing of C20, you can not maneuver around the small inconsistencies of the disk surface. You need really really good DD disks for this (not the 10 for 3 bucks packages you'd buy for "stuff") or you can use HD media nowadays (which really look sweet in regard to precise bitcells). It's really frightening seeing a graph of the actual disk surface and how many (physical) errors there are, which go unnoticed if you just say "can I read this back NOW"? With errors modifying the density, it's only a matter of time until such disks fail sooner or later. This seems to be very common for the cheap DDs sold back in the 90ies, while many old and recent HD disks look fine.

I did find an old NEC 1035 drive with a potentiometer attached in the stuff from the old office, which ville9 has cleaned and tried out. He says it's going from 290 rpm to 330 rpm (I hope I do remember correctly), so that could be used to try out this tool. But... if it just comes to writing the disk in a prefect way, C20 can do this faster, more reliable and with an accuracy that wasn't even achived by the Trace machines...

Page generated in 0.06246 seconds with 9 queries