View Single Post
Old 15 February 2009, 23:34   #21
Global Moderator

This is what happens when I boot my PIII machine from the QNX v6.1 Installation and Boot CD created from the QNX 6.1 ISO image downloaded from the OpenQNX Community Portal and install the Software Development Platform to a new partition on my hard disk.

Boot from CD :
  1. FD 2.88M  System Type (0F)
Hit ESC for .altboot.........................................
Press the space bar to input boot options...
Detected EIDE. Scanning for devices...
Please select a boot option. Option F2 is great for testing QNX compatibility
on new hardware without writing anything to the hard disk. It can also be
used for system recovery.
F2 - Run from CD (Hard Disk filesystems mounted under /fs)
F3 - Install QNX to a new hard disk partition
Select? F3
This installation will create a partition on your hard disk and
create a bootable QNX image. You may abort this installation at any
prompt by pressing the F12 key.
Press F1 to continue.
Press F2 to set verbose (debug) mode.
Choice (F1, F2)? F1
        QNX Realtime Platform End User License Agreement
F1-Accept F2-Reject? F1
                          *** WARNING ***
You have a disk which is greater than 8.4 Gigabytes. The original BIOS
calls to access the disk are unable to read data above 8.4G. If your
BIOS is older than 1998, you may be forced to choose option 2. Newer
BIOS's support an extended disk read call that can access the entire drive.
F1 Allow the QNX partition to be anywhere on the disk.
F2 Keep the QNX partition below 8.4G.
Choice (F1, F2)? F1
Your disk has room for a 38162 megabyte QNX partition?
Please select the size of the partition you would like to create for QNX.
F1     all  38162M
F2    half  19081M
F3 quarter   9540M
F4  eighth   4770M
F5  Display partition table allowing you to delete an exising partition.
Choice (F1, F2, F3, F4, F5)? F3
Restarting driver and mounting filesystems...
Copying files to the new QNX partition. Please wait...
100% COPY /cd/boot/fs/qnxbase.ifs to /hdisk/boot/fs
100% COPY /cd/boot/fs/qnxbase.ifs to /hdisk/.altboot
100% COPY /cd/boot/fs/qnxbase.qfs to /hdisk/boot/fs
100% COPY /cd/boot/fs/qnxbasedma.ifs to /hdisk/boot/fs
100% COPY /cd/boot/fs/qnxbasedma.ifs to /hdisk/.boot
Installation complete
Please remove the install floppy and CD, then reboot your machine.
1 When you get the login prompt, you should log in as    root
2 By default we enable DMA on the IDE driver. If your machine fails
  to boot correctly press the ESC key when prompted to boot the alternative
  OS boot image which disables DMA.
On rebooting the machine, a swapfile is created and the filesystem and
configuration files are prepared for the first boot from hard disk...

A new video card has been detected. Please verify
     these video driver settings before continuing.
The QNX Realtime Platform was designed with an optimal
resolution of 1024x768 in 16-bit color. It is not recommended
for resolutions below 800x600.
     Video Driver: tnt
       Resolution: 1024x768
      Color Depth: 16-Bit: Thousands of Colors
     Refresh Rate: 60Hz
The video driver 'tnt' is the default selection for my nVidia Geforce 2 MX400 64MB graphics card. The other possibilities listed were 'vesa' and 'vga'.

It should be safe to run with whatever configuration is selected by default at this stage. The availability of a 'vga' video driver is a little puzzling when it has already been stated that the QNX RTP is not recommended for resolutions below 800x600. The QNX v6.4 Display Setup lists the alternative drivers as 'vesabios' and 'svga', so perhaps this is actually what is meant here. However, running with either of these settings likely means reduced performance and 60Hz maximum refresh rate.

Accepting the default setup for the time being brings up the Login screen. Log in as 'root' (no password necessary), and the QNX Desktop is displayed.

When you get to the QNX 6.1 desktop, you will notice that there are two menu items available which don't appear on the V6.4 Desktop: the CD Player (which indicates that the CD-ROM driver has been loaded successfully) and the Installer. The Installer is also available from the Launch button in the Software submenu. Try the CD Player with an Audio CD in the CD-ROM drive. It should play OK.

Place the AmigaOS XL CD in the CD-ROM drive and launch the Software Installer. Select the QNX CD-ROM Repository and click the 'View Repository' button. Double-click the 'Emulation' folder, and the AmigaOS_XL for x86 package will be revealed.

Double-click the 'AmigaOS_XL for x86' entry. Details of the package are shown in the right panel and the package is selected for installation. Click the 'Install' button. The package may, optionally, be saved to your hard drive, but this is pointless if you own the AmigaOS XL CD. Confirm that you wish to install the package and finally check the license agreement.

The AmigaOS XL package will be installed to your hard disk. When disk activity has finished, click 'Done' and close the Installer window.

The AmigaOS XL emulator is now available from the Launch button in the Utilities submenu. Launch the emulator by double-clicking the menu entry, and the AmigaOS XL Workbench screen is displayed.

While AmigaOS XL is running, switching between the Workbench and QNX screens is achieved with standard Amiga screen-switching (depth) gadgets. The default 16-bit display color-depth is sufficient to display the Amiga Workbench screen, but I found it necessary to select the 32-bit color-depth to display the QNX backdrop properly. Also, I had to disable the hardware cursor to prevent the mouse pointer from disappearing when returning from the Amiga Workbench to the QNX screen, and I pushed the refresh rate to 70Hz. Display Setup is accessed from the QNX Launch button in the Configure submenu.

AmigaOS XL emulation shutdown is accessed from the System disk System folder. Double-click the Shutdown icon, choose 'Quit AmigaXL' and click 'OK'. QNX shutdown is accessed from the Launch button.

The QNX 6.1 Real Time Platform uses the QNX Neutrino partition type 79 ($4F) exclusively, and only one partition of this type may be created. This is why I couldn't add a second AmigaOS XL installation to my original hard disk. It can, however, co-exist with other partition types, in which case you will be given the option of installing the QNX partition boot loader or using an existing one to let you choose which partition to load when you boot.

Finally, I would ask that if any other user has experience of the AmigaOS XL emulator, could they please share it with us here, as documentation for it is almost non-existent.

I have only the four page article which appeared in the November 2001 final issue (26) of AmigActive magazine based on their first look at a pre-release version of the AmigaOS XL package and the two emulators contained within. I will scan it and upload it to the Zone for anyone interested.

Last edited by prowler; 16 February 2009 at 01:39.
AdSense AdSense  
Page generated in 0.07134 seconds with 9 queries