View Single Post
Old 10 February 2009, 12:02   #37
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tin View Post
don't care what you say AlexH [snip] my XP with two disk raid 5 still boots in times measured in whole minutes
There is no such thing as two disk RAID5!

Quote:
Multitasking - I still maintain I have seen NOTHING that can genuinely multitask as well as the Amiga OS, although I am REALLY not sure why that is.
I just remember it being crap as almost everything in the GUI was a blocking operation. Not being able to do anything until the GUI had finished reading a directory and drawing the current folder.

Quote:
As a small example, look especially at the apps that do graphics/video. You will see stuff running at 50fps and NOT juddering, jerking, pausing for thought.
Probably cos it had 50Hz video output. Setting a 50Hz video output on your PC does wonders also. WinUAE at 50Hz = Smooth scrolling

Quote:
Even video display systems run by very fast PCs as so often the case these days will run at 33 1/2 fps or something slightly out, and every now and again they'll pause briefly for a little think when something complicated happens - like maybe accessing a file on a share or something
I do think that games do suck on the PC without VSync enabled. I hate screen tearing. I'd much rather use a lower resolution with VSync on and AA enabled running at 50fps than 1600x1200 at 33.3

Talking about video apps (i.e. watching movies) any stuttering is more likely to be the software trying to keep the video and audio in sync, compensating for a 75Hz screen refresh and a 23.9Hz video source. Windows does "scratch" itself now and again but I would say it is more likely to be crappy video replay software coupled with unfriendly screen refresh rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticaga View Post
Vitual Memory kills the pc for multitasking still, and causes many video playback glitchyness that has been mentioned here.
You think that is what it is? I think it is more likely poor software. I do wonder why windows uses any VM when I've got 4GB of RAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by exoticaga View Post
Use every pc without vm, and you will have no such video problems.
Except things crash all the time cos you're not supposed to switch off VM?

Last edited by alexh; 10 February 2009 at 12:19.

Page generated in 0.07698 seconds with 9 queries