View Single Post
Old 30 January 2009, 03:49   #59
Originally Posted by gilgamesh View Post
Reviving Amiga? No. Doing it like the Amiga? Hell yeah!

Asides from the technical aspects, what was Amiga all about? It was up to date, entertaining and an overall good package for a reasonable price. You hadn't to spend a fortune and never felt like having missed something important. (I can remember buying my first PC after the Amiga. It had no soundcard!) The system's design was modern and elegant. That's the way to do it, if you want to do it in the spirit of rock lobster:
Be innovative, modern and complete. Do not try to be elitist, but different. Start from scratch and give priority to reason over tradition.

Apple shows the way, but is elitist, expensive and still too conservative.
If Commodore came back and asked me how to do it, then the modern Amiga would come as a notebook with OLED display and a flash-hdd. It would be a many multicore processor like Cell and a highly programmable graphics card like intel larrabee. The OS would be innovative. Something in the tradition of Plan9 and Hurd. UAE would be preinstalled.

Oh yeah, that would be cool (but frankly quite unrealistic ).
That sounds a little bit like the Nintendo Wii actually.

The Wii is the least elitist game-platform on the market right now, even going so far as becoming a phenomenon in that regard, popularizing the concept of "casual" gamers. I.e gamers that are everyday people, and not insane super-enthusiasts and nerds, like has traditionally been the case.

It is both cheap, natively backwards compatible and innovative, but the innovation is of course not in all areas, only parts of the hardware. Therein lies the key to its success and its low price. Using innovation and something cutting-edge in an untraditional manor, picking and choosing. Otherwise you can't get that low price in todays market.

( It should be mentioned that the low price and success of the Wii is the #1 reason why M$ and Sony had to lower the price of their consoles in short order)

I rather like some of your ideas, especially the use of OLED and an SSD-drive. SSD-drives in particular are really improving dramatically right now, with bigger and bigger models. 412 and 512gb models are on the market or soon to come out.

An interesting thing to note tho, is that SSD will one day be replaced as well. Most likely by a return to Electro-mechanics. As recently a new Nano-technological electro-mechanical option has been deviced. James Tour at Rice University thinks the first stuff should reach mass-market in 8 years. Around the same time I'd wager, as SSD will finally have won the HD-market.
Page generated in 0.09760 seconds with 9 queries