View Single Post
Old 16 January 2009, 13:47   #33

Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
FWIW: AROS does have it's own version of UAE so your 'old' apps will run...
It gets better:

Now for a quick burst of Amiga fanboy dreaming:
I'm really looking forward to AROS getting to the point where a genuinely useful distro can be produced...
...maybe it's because I have a pathological hatred of all things *NIX (esp the Li versions) but I'm convinced there's room for a lightweight Geeks OS lacking all the bloat / complexity of the most common offerings about today. Frankly AmigaOS / AROS is / will be more than up to the job of a single-user desktop OS...
Sounds very much like my plan for a Sinclair Spectrum OS for older PCs :-)

SpecOS (under development, albeit slowly) mimics a Sinclair Spectrum but takes advantage of better hardware - highres screen, better sound support, mass-storage etc. Retains all that made the Speccy great, like the immediately available BASIC (enhanced, of course), virtually instant boot time, simple memory model - flat memory, with no memory protection other than the OS, Video RAM exposed as part of the main memory etc. It would be single-tasking though, like the old Speccy. A very simple, but fun OS.

AROS is similar, being very lightweight (though not that lightweight - my 486 can't run it) and very fast.

Page generated in 0.05231 seconds with 9 queries