View Single Post
Old 01 June 2002, 05:40   #13

Originally posted by andy
Not intended as critical, Pyro...

Do you *really* believe that this *will* happen?

Amigas *are* special; but so much has moved on. Well, sort of (in the case of Wintel boxes)! lol

Is there really a sizeable market to support such things? I'm genuinely asking for your opinion, as it's hard to gauge things just from a few newsgroups and forums. There may be a lot of die-hards out there; but is it enough?

Whatever happens, you've got to love the idea of the Amiga fighting back (or even 'treading water'), haven't you? We can but hope... and we Brits like an 'underdog'!

P.S. I should perhaps add that I'm not anti-x86 systems (my main system is a P2-350). I like all hardware/games consoles/whatever. It's what's on them that counts. The Amiga will always have that 'special something' though...
In the future Custom VSLI chips could be flashed with the AGA feature set at a very low cost; such will be the advantage of such technology. A hobbyist company could start selling machines, look at what has been done with the CommodoreOne and this is before these powerful chips are available to the masses. The CommodoreOne does not use them but shows what one talented C-64 enthusiast can do. Our goal today as Amiga users is to keep the Amiga OS alive with things like WinUAE, AmigaForever, Amithlon, AmigaXL, AmigaOne etc. so that when that day comes that a enhanced old school AGA+ machine with Zorro III/PCI/AGP and a video slot can be produced at a low cost Amiga users will still be around. WinUAE today supports features that no real Amiga has like 8 MB of Chip Ram and recorded AVI. Sure WinUAE does not do some things that a real Amiga does like screen dragging and a few other features. But it is only a matter of time before custom programmable hardware will be able to do this. Today’s goal it to keep Amiga OS alive and run it everywhere so that it becomes ubiquitous. Windows is a bore, as more and more old time and new Amiga owners use Amiga OS thru emulation and PPC machines developers will return and new developers will be born. At my part time Amiga company I have 6 new products in development for the Amiga, other developers will follow.

Last edited by Pyromania; 01 June 2002 at 10:58.
Page generated in 0.05181 seconds with 9 queries