Thread: Miggy Emulator
View Single Post
Old 29 November 2008, 22:14   #5
Originally Posted by bLAZER View Post
Very interesting... I wish you good luck. It would be total awesomeness to look at demos/games in the webbrowser, like linked from bitfellas and HOL I've had my doubts about java being fast enough to emulate an amiga... but that will of course change as computers are getting faster.
I've seen some cool stuff done in Java recently and finding my old Amiga Hardware Reference manuals in my parents loft a couple of months ago made me determined to have a go at this.

I've posted a bit on the blog about performance but in the last couple of days I have tried a speed test of my 68000 CPU emulation and was quite surprised with the results. It will run at around 64Mhz on a 2.4Ghz Quad core (not that the number of cores matter as the emulation is all in a single thread at the moment) running XP Pro SP3 and around 85Mhz on my 2.5Ghz MacBook Pro. Given that this is unoptimised code that I've tried to write in a reasonably elegant OO manner it goes to show how effective the Java VM has become.

I think using Java opens up quite a few possibilities, and it will be interesting to see where this ends up
Page generated in 0.04835 seconds with 9 queries