View Single Post
Old 09 November 2008, 16:00   #10
Brutal DLX
DLX User
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
The best version is reported to be Apple II version. Arcade version is too difficult.
I'll see how I go with the arcade version. I'd be interested to have another look at the Apple II version anyway. We used to have Apple IIes at my high school back in the mid 1980s (in fact, we had more Apple IIes than pcs).

Originally Posted by jotd View Post
The problem with MAME is that they're integrists when it comes to the ROMS. At some point your ROM is OK, and the next moment it does not work anymore because some hardcoded stuff has been removed and now is in the new romset that 2 or 3 people only own legally but are not able to dump them anyway So you have to juggle between 2 or 3 versions of MAME to play all your games, or try to get them from ROM world or ROM nation (both excellent ROM providers).

OT: The most ridiculous MAME affair is with Marble Madness II : Marble Man.
Only 3 people have working cabinets and the ROMs are nowhere to be found.
A MAME driver has allegedly been written but is not available. Do you think the guy who wrote the driver deleted the ROMs afterwards (because it's very unlikely that one of the owners has the skills to write a MAME driver, even if one of them is particularly good at electronics and could repair his board himself) ?
Such an hypocrisy... and this for a 1991 game noone could sell now...
Yes, I remember reading about the "integrity" factor with MAME. I suppose for the majority of us end users, the ability to actually play an old game outweighs any ideas of "purity". I find the philosophy quite anal.

As for Marble Madness II, I didn't even know that existed!
Page generated in 0.08685 seconds with 9 queries