Thread: Sound problems
View Single Post
Old 04 May 2002, 01:46   #5
Chuckles
The Ancient One

Just FYI, it is not a requirement that your PC run at a blazing 1.7 GHZ or so to get good sound emulation. That having been said, there are indeed some problems with sound that Toni is working to try to correct. In WinUAE 0.8.21R3 and in the sound test beta of R4, the sound is pretty bad for me UNLESS I make sure that I don't have NTSC checked. In WinUAE 0.8.21R2, I get very good sound with both NTSC and PAL.

My hardware is a lowly PIII/500, running with a Diamond MX-300 sound card on Windows 98 SE, so clearly it can be done with a slower machine. Of course, the particular combination of hardware you have along with the driver versions you're using. So if you're thinking that you have to have a really fast machine to get good sound, just be aware that that's not necessary. For that matter, I've heard lots of folks complaining of sound problems even with 1.7 GHZ monsters, so I think that makes it pretty clear that the other software and hardware components on your system are at least as important when it comes to sound.

Page generated in 0.07223 seconds with 9 queries