View Single Post
Old 23 August 2008, 02:48   #31
Ya' like it Retr0?

its probably me... imma sleepy....

okay.... lets look at it this way...

On an Amiga

50hz has a possible 576(288 non interlaced) vertical scanlines of information..
60hz has a possible 480(240 non interlaced) vertical scanlines of information.. **purist see end of post

PAL and NTSC encodings are for colour information

you can Have either 50hz or 60hz with PAL color encoding but as far as I am aware you cannot have 50hz with NTSC signal encoding.

the Amiga Video Chipset is governed by the output horizontal frequency, i.e. 50hz or 60hz.. SO I can toggle between 50/60hz PAL and in doing so I increase the speed of the chips by about 20%.

Now NTSC games I believe are written to be at 60hz and hence all the timmings that the software relies on will be based around this, so by running an NTSC game in PAL it will run slightly slower and have a small border at the bottom of the screen.

Now PAL games running in 60hz can have some crazy results, like sound playing to fast, game speed un-playable, cannot see the bottom of the screen.

You have an Amiga, its a PAL machine, this is 50hz PAL color signal encoded output on the RF/Composite ports.

IF you had an NTSC machine, it would be defaulted to 60hz NTSC colour signal encoded output on the RF/Composite.

BUT if you used the 23pin RGB Video port on the back of the Amiga, you negate the encoding (PAL/NTSC) and are left with the vertical frequency of the machine, remember most games were written with a 50hz Amiga in mind so if its at 60hz it will go faster.

now.... does any of that ramble help.... if not... dont worry... its late and it could all be meaningless LOL...

***for the purists...
yes I know there is a 60hz PAL mode, infact I am sure I have seen a demo on an Amiga... not sure if it was a fake though....
Page generated in 0.05168 seconds with 9 queries