View Single Post
Old 21 April 2002, 18:55   #39
Bloodwych

New Classic WB version now complete!

How are you guys who own WB3.0 finding the classic WB?

If you liked that version, you're going to love this one!

I've been working hard to create the ultimate “classic” (ie still feels like the original) Workbench 3.0 for low end Amiga 1200's and now I'm ready with release 2. If any of you guys have ideas for improvements then please speak up!

New features added:

*Scalos run GUI (found it uses NO MORE RAM) adds LOADS of new features without any loss of speed.

*FULL MUI support

*Spent hours fully configuring the popup menu (starts off blank). It now has some real power! Slightly different configuration than you’ll be used too but easy to master. On this menu there are full shell arguments, links to my very own iconX scripts to perform custom actions and a few neat surprises!

*Separate popup menus for Disk icons, tools/project icons, drawer icons and window icons each customised with some features I think you'll find useful!

*Full ADF->ADZ (ie Gzip), ADZ->ADF and ADFcontents->HDdump support built into the popup menu! Just select an adf/adz file, right click and away you go NO need for virtual floppy mounting, the ADF contents are written straight to the temp directory and placed in their own drawer! (hope you enjoy Retro!)

*New , much more powerful format command added. Now you can create installed disks, cancel verify for increased speed and much more!

*New feature rich text editor!

*Icon updating has now been made much easier. Select “update” from the icon menu and both the update program AND a window containing the default icons open at once! Select the source icon, drag N drop the destination icons onto the update window (multiple selections allowed) to keep everything looking good.

*Killnewicons has also been added to the popup menu and configured via a script to get rid of ALL new icons on the hard drive at once so they don’t spoil this classic “.info” WB.

*Hdfloppy emulation in RAM so you can create a disk there first before copying it to a real floppy. A much more efficient way to work.

*Open all important drawers from the popup menu. Takes a little time to get used to but works out much better as you don’t have to search for icons under windows.

*More features I’ve probably forgotten.

Even with these added features, the ZIP is only 11.4 MB!!!!!!!

Notes:

Dopus still needs fully configuring to add more option buttons and usability (any offers?)

If you place the mouse on the title (mem) bar and press the right button, you’ll find a tools menu. This is to keep compatibility with programs that add themselves here. I’ve taken the opportunity of adding useful options to this menu including help and prefs etc so use this if you fancy customising the WB some more!!!

Delete works slightly different:

To delete multiple files, either right click on a WINDOW and use “select contents” followed by “delete contents” or select the files you want to delete as normal, right click on a WINDOW and select “delete contents” If you select multiple files and use the single “delete” option by right clicking on the files rather than the window, then only one file will be deleted.

If anyone's reading this and wondering where you can download this classic WB then I'm afraid to inform you that at the moment it's for private use only (BB's server) - it's not a public release. There is no way to know if you own the original WB3.0 so until a version is created without the copyright files (perhaps some time in the future) no public release will be made.

Enjoy – hope this is useful! I’d appreciate some comments/improvements and also some additions (if you guys have time) so we can improve this classic WB together. Someone configuring Dopus would be useful. Just add/edit whatever you think is needed, zip the WB and upload for us all to enjoy.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 21 April 2002 at 21:51.

Page generated in 0.04202 seconds with 11 queries